Power to the loft

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I'd like to put power in our loft, but I'm not sure of the best way, or what regulations might cover it.

There's a spur that a previous owner of the house put in, but tracing that lead back to a ceiling rose in a bedroom, so I don't want to go anywhere near that.

What should I be considering? Can I break into a socket in a bedroom, or do need to go right back to the CU? Does it need to be a fused spur? If I break into a socket in a bedroom, can I go up the wall from the socket, or do I need to find a different route?

Thanks for in advance.

Sponsored Links
That’s what I did - spurred off of the upstairs ring circuit - although I only have a twin socket in the loft that I power my cctv from. My loft lighting is taken off of the upstairs lighting circuit.

What is it that you want to power in your loft? There’s a big difference between hot tub and a TV amplifier.

It's to run occasional power tools, cctv, and a switch so I can drop giga-bit ethernet to my kids PCs.

I was under the impression that running any socket off a 5amp lighting circuit was a no-no?

Sponsored Links
Power tools would be a bit naughty on a 6a lighting circuit but cctv etc would be ok. Better to spur off the upstairs sockets via safe zone (straight up from existing socket). Note- that new bit of cable must be protected by an rcd, as must the new socket. If upstairs power is already via rcd then carry on

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back