1. Visiting from the US? Why not try DIYnot.US instead? Click here to continue to DIYnot.US.
    Dismiss Notice

Power to the loft

Discussion in 'Electrics UK' started by richie4236, 3 Apr 2021.

1. richie4236

richie4236

Thanks Received:
    United Kingdom
    I'd like to put power in our loft, but I'm not sure of the best way, or what regulations might cover it.

There's a spur that a previous owner of the house put in, but tracing that lead back to a ceiling rose in a bedroom, so I don't want to go anywhere near that.

What should I be considering? Can I break into a socket in a bedroom, or do need to go right back to the CU? Does it need to be a fused spur? If I break into a socket in a bedroom, can I go up the wall from the socket, or do I need to find a different route?

Thanks for in advance.

2. Mottie

Mottie

Thanks Received:
    United Kingdom
    That’s what I did - spurred off of the upstairs ring circuit - although I only have a twin socket in the loft that I power my cctv from. My loft lighting is taken off of the upstairs lighting circuit.

3. Sponsored Links
  4. Taylortwocities

Taylortwocities

Thanks Received:
    United Kingdom
    What is it that you want to power in your loft? There’s a big difference between hot tub and a TV amplifier.

5. richie4236

richie4236

Thanks Received:
    United Kingdom
    It's to run occasional power tools, cctv, and a switch so I can drop giga-bit ethernet to my kids PCs.

I was under the impression that running any socket off a 5amp lighting circuit was a no-no?

6. Sponsored Links
  7. oldbutnotdead

oldbutnotdead

Thanks Received:
    United Kingdom
    Power tools would be a bit naughty on a 6a lighting circuit but cctv etc would be ok. Better to spur off the upstairs sockets via safe zone (straight up from existing socket). Note- that new bit of cable must be protected by an rcd, as must the new socket. If upstairs power is already via rcd then carry on

• Like Like x 1