Need Power Socket to Loft

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I have a brand new-build bungalow with all the wiring in loft drooping through cavities to each room below. There are 3 separate ring-main zones. Above the bedrooms area (zone), I would like to fit a twin power socket in the loft to plug in an aerial amplifier and lead lamp.
Q. In the loft, would it be better to:-
a) Use a junction box's to break into the bedroom(s) ring main and extend it using a double socket ?
or b) Use a junction box to break into the ring main and wire it as a spur?

If the answer is b) should it be a fused spur?
Also I read that the junction box (30A) should be screwed to a fireproof area. Mmm, does a rafter count as a fire-proof mounting? and does it matter if the junction box is covered by 1 foot thick loft insulation?

Many thanks,

Vangarhi

Sponsored Links
Other options:

c) run a spur from the back of an existing socket. Provided that it has only one 2G socket on it, it does not need to be fused.

JBs have to be accessible, so you should not put one under the floor. Also you'd need 6 terminals to extend a ring with a jb.

d) extend the ring by linking to two existing sockets that are adjacent on the ring and remove the existing link between them

e) split an existing socket into 2x 1G and extend the ring by running one leg from each of those.

Of course, if said socket is simply to power a lamp and a TV amp then you might be better wiring into the lighting circuit and installing a proper fixed loft light while you're at it. You would be able to wire into an existing ceiling rose far easier than the ring main.

no, no, no... you cannot run a socket off the lighting circuit.. :evil:

go to the back of the class for sugesting it.. :mad:

although, yes running a permanent light or lights in the loft is preferable to a lead lamp. try some fluorescents..

Sponsored Links
ColJack said:
no, no, no... you cannot run a socket off the lighting circuit.. :evil:

go to the back of the class for sugesting it.. :mad:

Never suggested a socket on the lighting circuit, merely that you can use it as an alternative source of power. Nothing wrong with putting a ceiling rose in the loft and wiring the TV amp into that, especially if you get the pluggable type.

at which point the no doubt 3A fused unit then becomes un-fused on a 6-10A lighting circuit..

ColJack said:
at which point the no doubt 3A fused unit then becomes un-fused on a 6-10A lighting circuit..

If it's a TV amp with a flying mains power lead rather than a plug in type (which it would have to be in order to be wired into a ceiling rose) then chances are it has an internal fuse. I didn't think wiring small loads such as this into the lighting circuit was really frowned upon anyway.

It's not good practice to run anything but lights from the lighting circuit. If you must then a 3A FCU should be fitted with the load either wired directly into it, or feeding a single switched socket.

generaly, if it's got a mains lead, it'll have a plug on it ( can't sell stuff without these days.. )
if you cut the plug off it you just lost it's protection..

if it's not mains then it will have a plug in adapter

either way it needs a mains socket..

lights go on lighting circuits, sockets go on socket circuits..
you can fuse down a socket circuit and put lights on it, but you can't fuse up a lighting circuit and put sockets on it.. big no-no..

OK Thanks for all the answers up to now.
Here is my plan (AT THE MOMENT) as I don't want to pull out cables from the dg sockets in the bedrooms below.
1. Break one leg of the ring main in the loft and re-route one leg of ring to a DG box screwed to a sloping rafter somwhere above the loft insulation.
2. Extend the ring from the new DG socket and join back to the other ring tail (I broke into) using a JB and also screw that to a rafter also above the insulation layer.

Regarding the lights, well, I might as well find the main node and wire that up seperatly.

Any good or what rules am I breaking now? :p

Thanks,

Vangarhi

Vangarhi said:
1. Break one leg of the ring main in the loft and re-route one leg of ring to a DG box screwed to a sloping rafter somwhere above the loft insulation.
2. Extend the ring from the new DG socket and join back to the other ring tail (I broke into) using a JB and also screw that to a rafter also above the insulation layer.

Regarding the lights, well, I might as well find the main node and wire that up seperatly.

Any good or what rules am I breaking now? :p

Sounds fine. Just remember to keep the junction box accessible. It should be easy enough to take a feed for the lights but if it proves too difficult you can always wire a fused spur (3A) into the socket circuit and feed the lights from there.

no problems from what i see..

just one sugestion.. why not put another socket in instead of a JB?

might come in usefull at some point.. ( hobby train set / scalectrix once you've got lights up there..? ;) )

not being funny either but it might pay to put an emergency light up there along with the loft lights.. nothing worse than blowing a bulb and having to try and get back to the loft hatch without putting a foot through the roof...

non-maintained from screwfix £15.. a bargain over repairing a ceiling.. :eek:

:)
Good link Coljack, a couple of those will do a treat in my cut roof, is the maintained version any good as well?

JC

Thanks to everyone for their help.

The Amplifier in the loft is up and running.

Does anyone know what the rules are about adding a spur in a kitchen (for SCOTLAND) as I see the new regulations only seem to apply to England & Wales and I live in Inverness area.

I now need a new power socket for a small TV in the kitchen.

Perhaps I need to start a new thread?

Thanks again.
Vangarh.

Provided you don't live in a flat and your house does not have more than two stories, then I believe adding a point in your kitchen is 'non-notifiable' if you live in the land of the scots

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back