Installing power in loft

theres only 1 cable supplying 4 sockets?

Radials are quite common :rolleyes:

explain... what size cable and MCB?

How can I explain what I can't see ?

Suggested from OP:- 4 x socket off 1 x cable, new extension.

So it might be a circuit on it's own (lets hope it's not a 4 socket spur of a ring), in which case 20 amp MCB / rcbo and 2.5mm feed. Or it might be a 4mm radial 30 amp MCB / rcbo.

No one knows, the op doesn't seem to know- but my answer like the many others is a possible, all be it a guess due to lack of info / site view.

ok thanks for that, im not an electrician.

so you are saying that you can put 4 double sockets on a 2.5mm radial with a 20amp MCB/RCBO. makes sense i suppose as the cable is rated at around 27amps.

is there a limit to the number of sockets on this configuration?

Sponsored Links
on a lighting circuit, which is already fused at 5A or 6A, for a low-current appliance like that, you can safely fit an "electric clock" socket and plug. These have a small internal fuse. They are rarely used these days, as quartz clocks run for years on a battery. They used to be very common in offices and are still useful for extractor fans and other small devices, as it is much easier to unplug them for maintenance than to get out your tools and unscrew a flex outlet or junction box. You might have to go to a proper electrical dealer or mail order, as DIY sheds will probably not have them.

The plug and socket are unusually small so there is no chance of anyone trying to plug a heater or tool in.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/File:UK_Clock_Connector_3_pin_Open.JPG

http://www.tlc-direct.co.uk/Main_In...te_Mk_Accessories/Clock_Connectors/index.html

Second the clock outlet idea, they have an internal fuse and some types can take a 2A fuse.

What if the amp is wall wart powered, the clock plug won't worl with a transformer with built in plug ?

Sponsored Links
no, a 13A plug will not fit a clock connector. This is deliberate.

theres only 1 cable supplying 4 sockets?

Radials are quite common :rolleyes:

explain... what size cable and MCB?

How can I explain what I can't see ?

Suggested from OP:- 4 x socket off 1 x cable, new extension.

So it might be a circuit on it's own (lets hope it's not a 4 socket spur of a ring), in which case 20 amp MCB / rcbo and 2.5mm feed. Or it might be a 4mm radial 30 amp MCB / rcbo.

No one knows, the op doesn't seem to know- but my answer like the many others is a possible, all be it a guess due to lack of info / site view.

During the new house extension a new fuse box was installed and I think the new two cables (light and socket) run directly from the fuse box to the new extension.

With above responses, I am confused. Are we sure that I can connect a new socket before the four new sockets supplied by a feed directly from the fuse box?

How much should I pay an electrician for installing a socket and a light in a loft?

I just want to be safe?

With above responses, I am confused. Are we sure that I can connect a new socket before the four new sockets supplied by a feed directly from the fuse box?

Yes. However if you're unsure enough to be asking you should probably get an electrician in. It shouldnt be more than an hour's work for an electrician if the socket cable is near to where you want the extra socket and all work is done in the loft.

Labgear make an amplifier which is fed with its 12 volt power up one of the coax cable from a box behind one of the TVs. No power required in the loft.

I thought the amplifier has to be installed to the ariel input and then connect the rest of the TVs from feed from the amplifier. With your suggestion how would i connect the rest of the TVs.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back