Power washed 1960s concrete tiles, do they sealed or not??!!

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,

I've got different advice from people about my 1960s concrete roof. I recently got it power washed and treated with anti fungal stuff to keep moss growth away.

Someone told me I would need to seal the roof to prevent moisture getting through. Then someone else said that's rubbish, moisture won't get through the tiles just because they have been power washed - any protective coating on 1960s tiles would be long gone anyway.

An added complication - got my gutters done recently and the soffits are leaking drops of water. The bloke said my felt has been penetrated by a climatis plant and it has holes in it. If my tiles are good, do I need to worry about the felt, and, if the felt needs replaced, should that be done before I seal the roof (if sealing is needed?)

Thanks for any help/suggestions!!!!!!

Sponsored Links
No need to seal the roof - have a look for eaves protector felt and eaves trays for the soffit issue ;)

Concrete is porous, though your tiles are designed to last 35=45 years (Marley Roof Tiles website), there are over 100 forum pages regarding roof-coaters and their trade.

As a roofer for some years, I have an open verdict for roof coating. But that is your choice. One thing coating does not do, and a reason for a high percentage of my call outs over the years.

The 1960's roof felt is normally bitumen based and does tend to get 'old'
the last 3-4 tiles down to the gutter is where the felt breaks up and coating will not cure that. Watch your soffits for staining and paint peeling. If this happens chances are the felt has detroraited.
Copper ridge is a mild cure once the roof is clean.
Regulat moss treatment is best.

Roof coating does seal the concrete, but look on it as a COSMETIC treatment. Moss will return

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back