Powercut Waiting To Happen

Found the job from Friday and that the trees are flagged up as an issue which is allocated to a manager.
More details in a PM

Sponsored Links
From our log: -

11:18 AS PER ********** PASSED THROUGH TO ************* FOR PLANNED SHUTDOWN AND TREE CUTTING GANG

This puts it on the list where it already is to be dealt with, don't forget that there will be a lot of other jobs in the same or worse condition to the one near you.
They do all get dealt with eventually but we do not have unlimited resources.

The reason that it needs to be a planned shutdown is that we cannot legally class it as a fault and just switch the power off to do the job.

Since my last communication with electricity northwest on friday night (details in pm) and the information you have provided i am happy that the problem will be resolved eventually.

I do understand that there are other problems worse or similar i know this has to be planned so we will await the notice of disconnection.

so i'll thank you again for the trouble you have taken to help.

Andy

Sponsored Links
I went for my usual stroll yesterday and noticed straight away that on one of the poles the feed cable from the landfill site generator and the lightning arrestors had gone from pole as it was there last week.

It looks like this might be the cause of the outage last friday as it seems that the cable caught fire as you can see in the pics.

View media item 32650
View media item 32651
View media item 32652
View media item 32653
Andy

That cable was installed in the late 90's so not that old and being in a field i'll bet it's been hit by farmers machinery.

Andy

Westie,

Interested to see your comments about gaining access. I though DNO had both a right of access to the land and an obligation to keep trees clear of the lines.

My DNO is SP Manweb (I think), and they write to me every few years explaining this and that a gang will be coming round checking that there's at least 1 m clearance to overhead lines.

Lo and behold, a landrover with a cherry picker arrives, and the blokes cut a few branches (leaving tunnels through the trees). For a cup of tea and a biscuit, they'll usually do a bit of lopping for me as well.

Makes the tree's look a bit funny, but the alternative is felling or risk of cuts, so I gladly accept it.

All this is done without shutdown, but it's all LV. The HV stuff is way to high for the cherry picker !

Regards, David.

The actual agreement with landowners is that we have a right of access but usually with prior notification. In an emergency we tend to ignore this, but occasionally we get thhe odd complaint.

In the matter of trees, usually if they are on the same land as the overhead line there is not a problem. If however trees are growing from adjacent land we occasionally get outright refusals

An update we received disconnection notices today for thursday 23/06/11 for tree cutting so hopefully this will make our supply more reliable.

I will let you know what happens

Andy

Hi westie,

Thursday 23/06/11 for powerline tree cutting 08.30-17.30 although it,s never usually off that long.

Andy

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back