Powerflush in morning, will he want heating on or off?

Storms, have you any experience doing Powerflushes or do you just like answering questions with guesses?

Sponsored Links
Also might need to vibrate individual rads (mainly on drops) if system was that sludged up.

Hi dilalio
Yes he did vibrate every radiator with an attachment (fitted to a drill I think) to loosen up the crap/sludge, made hell of a noise

As dean mentions, the tools used aren't specific but best practice suggest they should be testing each rad to see how bad the condition may be and taking typical temps to compare once flush is completed. Also give an indication how bad it is and what level of chemical strengths to use.

What was the reason to embark on a powerflush in the first place?

Sounds like it was pretty sludged up but I'm sure he's seen ones just as bad, don't let him kid you, seen a fair few that are seriously sludged up. What levels and type of inhibitor did he add? Should be a sticker placed on your boiler. How long was he there?

Hi Madrab
He didnt measure the temps (to my knowledge) but on full heat they were all luke warm at best. The powerflush was advised by BGas as they came ou to replace the CH pump that had failed. They advised on a powerflush and made a note they wouldnt cover the pump again for replacement due to the sludge in the system. He did to be fair advise me to ring around saying I'd get an indy plumber do a powerflush for half the price of a BG one, so that was best option. I dont know what level or make of chemical he added for the clean, I've had 3 rads taken off to plaster rooms so he left me the inhibitor to add in 2/3 weeks time when the new radiators are fitted and the system drained and filled again. He was here for over 7 hours

I'd say that £600 for 11 rads plus a magnaclean fitted is around the right figure for a proper job, It's better with two, sounds like he was on his lonesome... Lots of running about o_O

He would, of course, have also neutralised the system water to get all the acid cleaner out, taken a ph reading and done a turbidity test.

The "Black Mamba" gunk :whistle: on the magnetic filter is the best evidence of what was trying circulate around your system tho (y)

I presume your rads are now bloody raging hot ;)

Sponsored Links
I'd say that £600 for 11 rads plus a magnaclean fitted is around the right figure for a proper job, It's better with two, sounds like he was on his lonesome... Lots of running about o_O

He would, of course, have also neutralised the system water to get all the acid cleaner out, taken a ph reading and done a turbidity test.

The "Black Mamba" gunk :whistle: on the magnetic filter is the best evidence of what was trying circulate around your system tho (y)

I presume your rads are now bloody raging hot ;)

He came on his own and yes, he spent most of the day up and down the stairs to every rad a good few times, and everytime he passed through the lounge explained what he was doing, and why (I'd researched it a bit, and he done pretty much everything I read). I didnt stalk him upstairs on th landing with his pump in its huge bund/container.

The 2 times he showed me the 'mamba' (first was for downstairs, 2nd time was for the upstairs) before he cleaned it off it was probably 3 inches diameter, once he'd cleaned it the shiny magnet was maybe 1" dia maximum. I dont know if that is a lot in comparison, but to me it looked a bl00dy lot of sludge to be in the system that shouldnt be.

Overall, really really impressed with it. And yes, now every rad in the house is HOT, almost too hot to touch.

It sounds like he's done a proper job and it's reasonably priced. I wouldn't worry about being ripped off. Also, don't listen to 'storms', he/she is an idiot with a fetish about being a gas man.

Ha. Even worse thing than the look of the magna cleanse magnets. I always enjoy the look on my customers faces when I say I'm going to use my vibrator on their radiators.

I found a Rampant Rabbit behind a boiler I was removing!

I found a Rampant Rabbit behind a boiler I was removing!

Was it a Vaillant?

image.png

Ok, technically it might be a hare... But artistic license etc

No it was a Rampart Rabbit.

The Vaillant animal is a hare!

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back