Powering wireless CCTV camera from mains on a fused spur

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi, I'm planning to self install a wireless CCTV system. I know I'd need to use a fused spur off a socket but need to confirm it's ok to use a ac/dc transformer module behind the switch and just run the DC flex straight through to the outside wall to the camera unit. I would of course use sealant on the hole. Any recommendations on the transformer? Would there be any heat issues with the transformer in the box mounted in the plasterboard. Thanks.

Sponsored Links
What about something like this secured behind the drywall plaster?

Behind the drywall plaster, how would you access it to replace it ?

How smooth ( electrically noisy ) is the "DC" that it supplies.

_____
- - - -
symbol means DC but with some ripple or other voltage component that could affect the quality of the video image

Something like THIS with the word "Linear" in the description

Sponsored Links
"Would there be any heat issues with the transformer in the box mounted in the plasterboard."
Yes. It's a fire risk.

Thanks for the replies. I conclude that the best option is to add a fused spur above a power socket to provide a mains feed to a linear ac/dc transformer inside an IP66 box with the camera mounted on the box lid. Any recommendations on what transformer is most suitable?

Or do I just mount a socket in the IP66 box and plug in the ac/DC power supply that is supplied with the camera?

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back