Powermax 155 boiler and hive

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi everyone

first time poster but been lurking the threads all day researching but thought id ask too.

I am buying a house and the seller has told me the house has a powermax 155 boiler. I was planning on buying a hive thermostat to reduce costs in the long run however ive come into a few concerns:

- everyone seems to hate the powermax 155 - why is this?
- i would have to keep it on constant which i imagine would be constant?

Because of this, is it worth investing in or is there another thermostat i should consider?

Sponsored Links
yes it has to be left on constant and you can use the single channel hive to control the heating if you want but you cant control the HW it is constantly on too, google thermal store and you will see how the unit works, if it was me , I would negotiate a couple of thousand off the asking price and put another boiler in, they are coming to the end of their lifespan and have had their fair share of problems

The Powermax 155 isn't a bad boiler, provided it's looked after properly by someone who knows what they're doing. Unfortunately, most of them haven't been and so they need a considerable amount of work to refurbish them - £400-500 can be spent on really bad ones.

To an extent they were victims of their own success - they were so efficient that they condensed a bit, but were never designed to be a condensing boiler. This means that there was no means of condensate disposal, and long aluminium flue runs need careful inspection to ensure they haven't rotted away. They can also rot internally, which is terminal, although this is much less common.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back