Powermax 155x - blows fuse

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I have looked at the site but have not found anything like my particular problem.
We have a Powermax 155x in our flat and it has ceased working, due to blowing the fuse. Hot water was OK before the event, but we were having trouble with the CH, which had become feeble. I thought it would be the heating pump, so I took that off, and indeed it was defective - although mysteriously it would run on the Number3 speed setting. I replaced it anyway. I was hoping that sludge was the problem, but that proved wrong, despite a draindown and recharging the pipes. I daren't touch anything on the gas side of the boiler - I have read other websites that rate the Powermax as dangerous if interfered with (gaskets etc) with the gas bits, and besides there is the legal aspect.
Some of the tests I have done so far:- Checked mains wiring/connections - OK. I checked the two pumps, CH and HW 'stirrer' (as well as the new one I fitted) by running them on a jury rig with plug and socket: there's no problem there, apart from the old pump. Disconnecting them from the boiler terminal blocks, I threw the mains switch, and it still blew.
So it is either something in the gas activation/igniter section, or the programmer is shot - but that was working OK before.
Has anyone out there suffered the same problem?
BTW I should add that I used to be a CH installer over 20yrs ago. I stopped when CORGI registration came along, and became an office worker instead... I am familiar with much of CH technology, but the Powermax looks like a box of tricks. I and my mate used to fit Vaillants and Vokeras (his personal favourite), mainly combi units, but at least you could get to the innards when something went wrong with those boilers!

Sponsored Links

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back