Powermax 155x heater leaking water

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,

I have a Range Powermax 155x central heating boiler. Recently its started to leak water at the top of the cylinder.

Two engineers have been out under difference insurance schemes I have. One says I need to replace the cylinder which is not covered on the policy, the other (British Gas) says I need to pay to replace the whole heater (~£3000).

Upon further investigation the Burner (p/n p620) at the top of the cylinder is leaking water between its seal with the cylinder. From the manual I see there is a gasket (p/n p507) underneath.

My questions are:

1. Would replacing this gasket fix the leak?
2. Is the gasket part still available to buy?
3. Is it a straight forward job? Looks like 8 screws and removal of the fan. (A friend of the family is CORGI registered, I'm doing the leg work here).

Thanks!

Mark.

Sponsored Links
Where is the leaking water coming out from?

Did it stop working or how was the leak discovered?

Be aware that these are "difficult" boilers and not suitable for DIY repairs.

Rather than try to get someone who may not be conversant with this model, I think that you would be bettere to examine the small print and see why both schemes would not cover the fault as a repair.

Tony

Mark, If you have a water leak where you say then the gasket you refer to will not fix it.Those eight screws are to the burner screws and the gasket underneath has been modified from the original and is only a burner gasket and nothing else.
If you have water leaking in that area then I'm afraid that could mean a new tank.Problem is I think they are no longer available.
Whatever the fault is I strongly advise that you only allow competent people to work on that equipment.There are many pitfalls with Powermax.

(A friend of the family is CORGI registered, I'm doing the leg work here).

Thanks!

Mark.

This is arguably the most dangerous boiler in the UK to work on, so not fit for diy.
As corgi registration has been meaningless for 2 years, I don't put too much faith in your friend of the family either.

Sponsored Links
If you have water leaking in that area then I'm afraid that could mean a new tank.Problem is I think they are no longer available.

Yep, afraid so, new boiler time. I had one and scrapped it, although it was still working and had never caused me any trouble. There are too many Powermax 'issues', parts are costly or unavailable and no-one wants to work on them. I'd really strongly suggest you don't try to repair it, even if you could get the cylinder.

The boiler is unrepairable......end of. The 'tank' was never available as a spare as the 'tank' is the boiler!

The seal you refer to is a combustion seal not a water seal.

Finally, as has been said this is not a boiler to mess with. Just replace it......you won't regret it.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back