powermax 155x

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
this is my neighbours boiler,they are on a bg carehome contract,their problem is that their system loses pressure from 1.75 bar to zero in 5 weeks.
parts changed so far.2 expanding vessels.2 pressure reliefs and 2 auto air vent.all in last 9 months.
now they just turn up and repressurise,my neighbour is not able to reach filling link as in a wheelchair.
my neighbour is conserned constant filling will damage boiler but this has been dismissed by bg.
most pipes are consealed in walls and ceilings a 4 rad system,no visable pipes to inspect.
last inspection by bg this was done.repressurise system,check sump ok,inspect visable pipes,check rads for air.,no external drain valve.left working.
so how can they find the leak as no damp patches or smell of damp.
thank you for your time.

Sponsored Links
Using fernox f4 leak sealer is an option but it's always better to trace and physically repair if poss. I would get BG back.

my neighbour is conserned constant filling will damage boiler but this has been dismissed by bg.

Then 2 years later they'll sell a powerflush because the system is corroding. Hmm wonder how that happened!! numpties.

Unfortunately in this situation the pressure loss is very slow. Losing 1.75 bar in 5 weeks may be an extremely small leak. However its very unusual to be on the pipework. All the radiators and valves need to be thouroughly checked hot and cold for any hint of dampness.
There could be a leak from the boilers heat exchanger which would not be obvious, I don't know how prone these things are to leaking as I don't work on them, maybe one of our resident baxi experts could help with that one.
I'm assuming that having changed 2 expansion vessels they would have checked the pipe for blockages to the vessel :confused:

As a last resort leak sealants can sometimes work on very small leaks, but I envisage "last resort"

Micky

how much leak sealer will be needed as its a heatstore i believe there are different rules for doseage.
thank you.

Sponsored Links
A dose of leak sealer is intended for a typical heating system of about 70-80 litres.

The powermax store is I think about 150 litres making a total of about 225litres.

In that case three doses would seem appropriate BUT I would never use it.

The best time to find a leak is to turn oFF the boiler for several hours as a very small leak will evaporate when the system is hot abd be undetectable.

Tony

thanks tony.
my neighbour is going to ask bg to locate and fix the leak,good luck for her.
if they refuse,i have asked my installer to add the leak sealer when he does my boiler in 4 weeks time,at my expense.
well they are nice neighbours and that means a lot.

cheers.

ask the bg eng to add the leak sealer, it'll save you paying for it. no its not the ideal solution but it really ****s me off when colleagues do naff all for customers cos they wont moan about it. :mad:

Gasvinda, as a matter of interest whats the BG policy on using leak sealer if its not been possible to locate a slower leak?

Its always easier for the occupier ( or neighbour! ) to find the leak because as I explained before they are not going to be visible on a hot system.

I ask my customers to turn it off for three hours before I arrive but I have never heard of BG doing that.

Tony

theres no set policy which is why thers such discrepancy with how customers get treated :confused: . ill ask my customers to do the same as you suggest.... turn it off look, for damp patches and wait until it shows signs of leaks( obviously ill have a look too). but in a lot of cases customers don t want to wait and see, they want an instant fix, and due to the constraints that the bg guys work under we dont have time to wait and see :LOL: . so where i cant for reasons of access, impatience, or bad luck, locate the leak , i will use leak sealer. i never promise itll work but sometimes its the best option. saves digging up floors especially as we wont lift floors for free. obviously if its a biggun it wont work but certainly it'll sort weeps out. and thats after ive checked its not the obvious stuff. and no i dont use lsx either :LOL:

hope ive explained that clearly.. i feel i havent but ill clarify what i can if you've got more questions.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back