Powermax 185 - Whistle

We have a powermax (185) that has just started whistling and is approx 5 years old. A good number of houses in our close proximity also have the same annoying problem. British Gas don't seem to know what to do - any advice would be greatly appreciated before we are all slapped with a fine from the council for noise pollution :!:
The boiler whistles when heating the HW only (does not appear to happen when the CH is on) and although noisy in front of the boiler it is nothing compared with the sound outside the house. The noise appears to become amplified through the flue which protrudes through the roof ridge tiles.
We haven't descaled the boiler since we've owned the property (4 years) - (should we :?: )and have a water conditioner "Limefighter" fitted to the cold water mains (does this need to be replaced regularly :?: )

Having read a few similar articles a number of solutions have been suggested:
Gas mixture, heat exchanger, system flush through / descale, fan

If anyone has managed to fix this problem I and many of my neighbours would be very very grateful for some advice. :D :D
My son has the same problem on the Middlewood estate in sheffield and we fixed the problem by shortening the flue. When we looked at the manufactures recommendations the builders/plumber who did the whole estate fitted them incorrectly. Hope this helps!!

Sponsored Links

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back