powermax 185

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hai
I have Powermax 185 boiler which heats the water but not heating the house. could some one help me whether it needs changing the pump. its 5 year old boiler.
thank you

Sponsored Links
is the heating pump turning when you turn the stat up?.... put a screwdriver on the case of the pump and against your ear and you will soon tell.

Hai
Thanks Ollski and gazthepottertonenginner. Unfortunately ollski i could not visualise any pump i think its all inbuilt any further advise please. gazthepottertonengineer - what should i do to initiate the cold thermostat before calling in an engineer for looking up my boiler.

Sponsored Links
The pump is the round thing which is at the bottom of this boiler or to the left maybe depending on age see if it has power going to it and let us know :rolleyes:

Yes, we've found the cold start stat on these goes. It warms the HW store and won't Xover to allow the CH to run.

Hai simond
Thanks and would you tell me what you do to start the CH. And gazthepottertonengineer my boiler is been covered all around by metal case i only could access the electronics on the boiler. i could not see any pump on the outside like the older once.
Thankyou

Powermaxes we have worked on have a significant HW heat store inside the casing.

For reasons you will not be interested in, they are designed to heat the hot water store first, even if you have selected CH.

There is a thermostat on the HW heat store which changes over once the heat store temperature is reached. if this switch fails, which is not uncommon, you will never see any CH.

However, these boilers frighten some CORGIs and therefore I would not advocate fannying around inside if you are not mechanically and electrically proficient.

nkumar said:
Hai simond
Thanks and would you tell me what you do to start the CH. And gazthepottertonengineer my boiler is been covered all around by metal case i only could access the electronics on the boiler. i could not see any pump on the outside like the older once.
Thankyou

If it is the cold start stat then you simply have to replace it to get the heating working and the pump is inside that metal case as you say my advice call potterton who are the service division for this boiler on 08706 096096 they have a fixed price call out charge which includes all parts and labour ;)

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back