Practice circuits

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi All

After such a helpful response, I thought I'd ask another question. I am learing about electrical circuits at the moment and just seen a suggestion about getting a piece of MDF and lighting bits to practice on before doing any DIY. fantastic idea.

My only concern is powering the circuit to see if it works... My CU is a little antiquated and there is no spare space to run cable from it to power the practice circuit.

Does anyone have any suggestions as to how I can power it safely to check that it is working, other than removing wires from my CU please? I am going to work on lighting, rings and radials so i will end up removing everything from my CU and with the wiring i have, it will be a struggle to get them all back again!

Thanks for your suggestions in advance.

Sponsored Links
Why not run it from a socket, via an RCD?

But, before you power up, you can do dead (continuity) tests to check whether the circuits would work or not, are correctly wired, etc...

Have you got 17th Ed. test kit?

fantastic idea, thank you :) So I would connect the end of the cable to a standard plug and then pop it into an RCD. makes sense - That will provide enough power?

yes I do have a MFT (Megger 1552) and I need to practise with that too!

I really appreciate your advice - other forums would prefer to slate such questions rather than offer help :)

Why not power it from a battery? Or an old ELV power supply?

You could use ELV lamps and bases like these:

and things will work just the same, but be a lot safer.

Sponsored Links
yes I do have a MFT (Megger 1552) and I need to practise with that too!
TBH if you feel that you need to practice wiring up switches, sockets, lights etc, plus looking at your posts here and the level of basic knowledge which they evince, then you're some way away from starting to play with something like that.

Have you thought about looking to see if any of your local colleges run the EAL Domestic Installer VRQ course on a one-evening-per-week schedule?

Hi Ban

Noted your comments and I actually completed this course a couple of months ago but my current job doesn't allow me much time to practise (soon to change). I do know how to wire but I need to refresh my head on a few things, hence the practice board :) It is the age old problem of balancing learning and experience and this seems like a logical way of getting my head around the practice until the proverbial light comes on and stays on! These courses are quite fast paced and you don't really get the change to go over things once you have done them.

Its just a case of bringing the knowledge that I have to the front of my brain and for it to stay there :)

BBee1

Did you do one of those 5-day intensive courses?

Yes I did. Why do you ask?

hidesbehindsofa.gif

Did you do one of those 5-day intensive courses?

Yes I did. Why do you ask? It was the best option for me to do it this way. I am only interested in domestic work so it made sense.
OK.

Given that you are completely floundering when it comes to something as utterly trivial as adding a couple of lights to a circuit, and that your knowledge of electrical theory is so fuzzy that you say things like "I am concerned that 4 lights from one switch is dangerous or that not enough power would get to each bulb", do you really think that that course was any use to you?

In theory it makes you qualified to work as a domestic installer. Do you think you're up to that?

I understand what you are saying and I would say no that I am not ready to be a domestic installer which is why I am not pretending to be. I felt it right to do the course at the start so that I don't start off on the wrong foot and get into bad habits. My aim is to practice and build up knowledge and work with electricians to gain experience and then in perhaps a years time, consider doing paid work for people. I thought that it was the most conscientous way to do things as I know that there are cowboys out there and at the very least I can look at wiring now and understand what is going on and identify dangerous situations.

I wouldn't say that my knowedge is fuzzy but I learnt an awful lot at the course and I have facts, figures and information flying round my head at a rapid rate of knots that I am trying to tie down into logical order. Hence my reason to check that I am not going to do anything stupid and running the risk of hurting myself or others.

I know that I can add additional lights to a circuit and that there are calculations that you undertake to work the max number of lights allowed. The question that I had and didn't have cause to ask at the course was whether all the additonal lights could be run through a single switch becuase as a general rule of course, each light has its own switch.

I am the last person to assume that i am a 'Competant person' believe me.

Do what was suggested earlier, and buy some 9/12volt lamps and holders, you can practice making and testing your circuits safely. Don't work on any mains circuits until you feel 100% confident about what you are doing

Do what was suggested earlier, and buy some 9/12volt lamps and holders, you can practice making and testing your circuits safely. Don't work on any mains circuits until you feel 100% confident about what you are doing

Absolutely - I don't plan on killing myself yet :) far too busy. I am just trying to work out the best way of powering practice socket circuits too... any hints?

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back