pre fabricated garage

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I am new here, so I hope this is the right forum for some questions about a recently installed pre-fab concrete garage. I am asking for my brother in law who's had some really bad luck with the installation people so far.

A few days after installation, there was about an hour of drizzle. I had a look inside the garage. The steel roof sheeting had become soaked. The eaves are currently open, and as the rain fell into the guttering, the splash-back went inside, onto the absorbent inner coating of the steel roof sheets. It was wet to touch and travelling up the roof sheets like water into a sponge. The company suggest putting expandible foam to seal the eaves.

After installation, as recommended by the company, a mortar fillet was placed around the inside of the garage (with waterproofing). In one place, it was wet. On the exterior side of this wet patch there was a wooden wedge that had been left behind by the fitters. It could not be removed as it was under the heavy concrete panels. Now it's covered in mastic and looks like a turd. It has not rained since so I don't know if that will seal it.

The specification was for height 2.43m. The actual height inside the garage is 2.2m and they attached a pvc board on top of the roof sheets which is 7 cm high. Total height is 2.31m.

The company had agreed to send plain concrete panels but instead spar finish panels were installed. When this was pointed out they suggested that they would provide vouchers or some money to go towards painting the spar finish. How much do you think is enough?

Also, the garage was supposed to have 4 walls and not be attached to the house. However they installed the concrete panels on one side against the house and left a gap above the concrete panels where there should have been wooden fascia board. Therefore the house wall is exposed on that side, above the concrete panels.

Do you have any comments? What do you think should be done? It is being discussed with the company but no satisfactory solution has been reached yet. I would really appreciate your input into these issues.

Sponsored Links

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back