Pre RCD/ELCB

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Prior to RCD/ELCB what on earth (no pun) protected a TT system, especially say Spain for example where it is prevailant.
Any answers (perhaps BAS will do the honours)

Sponsored Links
ebee said:
Prior to RCD/ELCB what on earth (no pun) protected a TT system, especially say Spain for example where it is prevailant.
Any answers (perhaps BAS will do the honours)

people had more common sense

Nothing...

Not strictly true, from the early 1960's there was a device called a Fault Voltage Device and these were often installed on TT systems. During the 1970's these were slowly replaced by RCD's (ELCB's as they used to be known), the FVD's were banned from being installed by the 15th edition of the Regs, although I found one still working in an old farmhouse recently...

Other than that the only protection was good old common sense and generally a BS3036 fuseboard!!! :confused:

Sponsored Links
You had two options. 1) Voltage operated ELCB and 2) PME (1960's version)

PME meant the neutral and earth were combined throughout the installation and all metal was connected to the earth/neutral. Ha! You never had a "borrowed neutral" problem. ;)

In the 1960's Pyrotenax were proposing a system using their cables where the earth/neutral was the sheath. So you'd get a light fed by a single core pyro.

This was all in line with the IEE regs - 13th. edition, I think, but my memory might have failed on the edition number.

Big_Spark said:
Nothing...

[...] FVD's were banned from being installed by the 15th edition of the Regs, although I found one still working in an old farmhouse recently...

We had one on moving in four years ago (still got it somewhere) - though closer inspection showed it was bypassed and just acting as a Henley block.
Suspect, given various horrors found, that this wasn't because it wasn't working...

Neal

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back