which rcd?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
i have a TT system which currently has an ELCB. Obviously it is obselete now so i have to fit an RCD. Can it be 100mA to be used as the main switch as well or do i need to discriminate with a 30mA RCD? Im leaving the old consumer unit which has wylex ceremic re-wirable fuses and want to do a straight swap with the ELCB

Sponsored Links
100mA time - delayed for the whole installation (can be used as the main switch), 30mA for socket - outlet circuits (and showers).

Are you notifying this work to your local LABC

ok. but i dont want to replace the existing board so how do i go about the 30mA side of things? can i not just replace the ELCB with a 100mA RCD?

While that will improve things from what they are, you need a 30ma for the sockets and shower.

Seems a little daft to leave the old board, tbh

If you don't want the expsense of a TD RCD, consider a separate main switch in (insulated) enclosure feeding into henley blocks, feeding out to two boards, one with 30ma RCD and one with 100ma RCD

... Or have you enquired with your DNO as to the possibility of having a TNCS earthing terminal installed?

Sponsored Links
ummm i know wot ur saying....so ur best advice wud be to renew the consumer unit and mabye have a split load board. take out the ELCB? or just leave it where it is? Is there any way to do it without renewing the board?

New CU with either 2 separately fed RCDs from an isolator switch or a new CU with a 100mA time delayed RCD and a 30mA RCD. A 100mA time delayed board with 30mA RCBOs for relevent circuits would be the best but will be at a price!!

30mA are not the best thing to have covering everything as a small fault and the whole house will be in darkness!
TBH, a new CU is probably out of the scope of DIY, the whole installation will require checked for compliance. A new CU is also a notifiable task to your Local Area Building Control under part P of the building regs.

wot if i leave the existing board and fit a new 2 way 30mA RCD protected board and take the ring main and shower circuits into that. i can fit a 100mA RCD as the main incomer in place of the ELCB. that way i wont have to test the rest of the circuits will i?

Yes. If you fit a new RCD then you will have to EVERY circuit which it supplies.

Have you tried contacting your DNO yet? They will often convert your supply to PME for less than the price of a 100mA TD RCD.

Why don't you have the job done properly and make the installation safe rather than coming up with stupid bodges to aviod an hours testing? Or are you trying to avoid having to notify this notifiable work?

well i spoke to my electrician friend who said that i should fit a 30mA RCD as the main incomer. I've installed bonding to the water and gas services which was non existant and fitted a new earth rod . All on 10mm. Then i spoke to my health and safety boss who said i should fit a 100mA as the incomer and then fit a 30mA socket in the downstairs for the customer to use for mowing the lawn etc. He said that this complies but is not ideal. How do we all feel about this?

ricicle said:
100mA time - delayed for the whole installation (can be used as the main switch), 30mA for socket - outlet circuits (and showers).

do all the sockets have to be on a 30mA RCD or is spesifying to the customer that they can only use the RCD socket enough? The shower doesnt have to be on a RCD does it? Only a rcommend. Whatever way i do it , it has to be better than the voltage trip thats there

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Status
Not open for further replies.
Sponsored Links
Back