My mums got a ELCB (pic)

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Noticed my mum has got a ELCB in the CU. From what I gather this is not a good thing. Its a Wylex, so should I be able to get a replacement RCD????. Its the main switch so should I replace it with a 30mA.
Image047.jpg

Sponsored Links
It is a current operated ELCB, basically what they were called before they were called RCDs. It is not a voltage operated ELCB so is not a problem that way, however if it is protecting the whole installation doesn't take into account one fault tripping the lot.

It's fine.

You have a current operated ELCB. This is normally referred to these days as an RCD.

It is voltage operated ELCBs you need to be concerned about.

VO-ELCB:

IMGP2805-1.jpg

Thanks Spark123. I did a search after posting (should have done it before :oops: ) & found some info about this. Apparently Wylex introduced them around 1974 & was basically an RCD.

Cheers.

Sponsored Links
Noticed my mum has got a ELCB in the CU. From what I gather this is not a good thing.
It's the voltage operated ones which are not a good thing - the BS 4293 one your Mum has is fine.

I hope she presses the test button regularly.

Its a Wylex, so should I be able to get a replacement RCD????. Its the main switch so should I replace it with a 30mA.
No need to replace it, but if you did you might not get one to fit, as that one might be built into the body of the CU, not on the rail.

And if you did replace it, how would you resolve these problems:

1) The holes you'd be left with on each side of the replacement RCD?

2) The need to isolate the supply before doing the work?

3) The (highly advisable) testing & certification of the replacement?

ban-all-sheds - I wouldnt worry about 1, Id get the DNO to pull the fuse (2), I'd change the CU & test it. (now that I'm NIC reg'd ;) )

See the post above :LOL:

Course you can, but all profit from the use of this picture must be sent to me in cash in armoured vehicles. :)

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back