Prefab garage + new flat roof = mould

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Concrete prefab garage has had a new flat roof, replacing corrugated cement board. That used to suffer badly from internal condensation in winter and I'd hoped the recent replacement ply decking+EPDM would fix it.

In the recent few months it has started to get black mould and feels damp to touch - all over, so sure it isn't a leak. Everything else in the garage remains dry except the deck, one 25l water barrel and one 28lb metal weight (both of which have a lot of thermal mass).

Three questions, as I guess both the symptom and cause need sorting (and I'll be armed with the correct info when talking to the roofer)...

i) For the mould - I assume I need to deal with it asap to stop the deck being damaged? Some kind of fungicide wash and let the garage air thoroughly?

ii) To then protect the deck from rotting in future, is there a preferred treatment?

I've used Cuprinol on other outside wood in the past - and it states it is suitable for interior wood at risk of condensation. However, is it also worth using one of the anti condensation paints on top?

These seem to have mixed reviews and are expensive. If there is still condensation and it no longer soaks into the wood, then it’ll drip internally (as used to happen with concrete sheets). I suppose that is better than a rotting deck!

iii) The 18ft x 12ft detached garage is not airtight and cannot realistically be made so. I think that rules out: seal+insulate+possible heater/dehumidifer, so instead I need to increase ventilation?

Up-and-over door has one inch gap across the top already. No other doors/windows. Drilling into prefab concrete seems like a bad idea :)

There is no soffit at the far end, just fascia. Sides have 1 inch and 2 inch soffits respectively.

I could just chuck in a floor fan to move the air around and hope that that is sufficient to replenish with colder outside air. Not convinced though.

I was also thinking of adding vent holes to the soffits. We live in a windy area so that might be okay, but:
- it might not clear the air between the joists without an additional fan (soffits are parallel to the joists)
- would some intake or extractor fan likely to make any difference?

I’ve already sealed the concrete pad and overlaid with duramat pvc floor tiles. That might have made it worse but is much nicer.

Sponsored Links
Never seen that before! was the plywood wet/damp when it was installed ?

I think dry when installed, and for the autumn months no problems seen. Pretty sure it has kicked off in December due condensation.

I need to do something about it pronto?!

Sponsored Links
Storage only at the moment, but was intending to move some gym stuff in. That'd increase moisture (though the up-and-over door would be open), but I don't fancy that if there are a lot of mould spores.

Anyway, even just for storage I'm worried the deck is going to rapidly decay...

I suffered it quite a lot, in frosty weather and I think what happens is that the natural moisture hits the much colder roof and condenses out, or if really cold, it ices up the underside. I fixed mine with 35mm (I think) polystyrene sheet, bought to be flame retardant and just pushed between the roof timbers. It helps stop the roof being the coldest part. I have since replaced asbestos cement, with a galv and painted metal roof, retaining the polystyrene under it.

How did you fix the sheets to the ply deck, avoiding any air voids? From what I've read, condensation could form in any unventilated air void and the sheet may hide it.

How did you fix the sheets to the ply deck, avoiding any air voids? From what I've read, condensation could form in any unventilated air void and the sheet may hide it.

I didn't, I just made the sheets a touch too big and forced/wedged them in place, tight up to the roof. It's one of those box section metal roofs, so it fits tight up to the bottom of the box, but still air gaps.

Ah okay - so that stopped condensation dripping back into the garage? Could still be wet on the metal, but that matters less in your case. In my case, the ply is still at risk (though out-of-sight, out-of-mind!)

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back