Preferred technique to repair hole in plasterboard?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,

I've got a few holes in plasterboard to repair, mainly due to door handles/child combination.

Seen a number of solutions on the web, all much of a muchness I think and include cut out damage and then a backing piece of:

Fibreboard fixed with PVA
Plasterboard fixed with PVA or compound or screws
Timber battens fixed with screws

Dropping a new piece of board in, removing some scim from the existing board and then blending in a new scim/filler seems the normal approach. Although I have seen some tape the joint before the scim but not sure how tape really benefits the repair.

I'm thinking the approach should be the same for any size of repair, although bigger the damage and its location (e.g. likely to get some hammer again) may dictate how much effort goes in to securing the backing.

Would appreciate thoughts on preferred techniques. I don't want to be acewing timber battens if overkill, etc.

Many thanks,

Damian

Sponsored Links
the info is limited - how come no photos?

typicly, you cut a square of p/b larger all round by 35mm - 45mm than the hole.
cover the hole with the level p/b and mark the outline.
cut out the damage to the outline.

use short off-cuts of eg. 2" x 1" - two for each hole.
slip them behind the surrounding board half exposed/half concealed an screw through to hold them.
drop the square piece into the hole an tape and skim - sometimes no tape needed if skimmed firmly.
done properly you'l have an invisible patch.

Hi,

Thanks for the advice.

I'm taking holes around 100mm square, although your advice probably stands for anything other than repairing a drill hole (or slightly larger) where you can pack and fill.

Might be a daft question but what is the purpose of taping joints. I know it is the established practice but is it to stop hairline cracks and how does a bit of tape do this. I guess it is something to help the plaster grip to?

Thanks again,

Damian

The scrim is to reinforce the joint which will crack without it...use easi-fill on the patches as it can be sanded easier than gypsum plaster.

Sponsored Links
Hi,

Thanks - just one question on the easi-fill. On a small patch, do I need to use this or is it acceptable just to buy a pre-mixed filler of some sort from one of the sheds?

The easi-fill seems pretty cheap, so with a view small patches to do it is no issue to get this. I'm guessing will get a year on the shelf life as well so will keep a little while.

The pre mixed stuff will have a limited shelf life once it has been opened, Easi-fill works for me.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back