Prep for turf

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Just trying to get ahead of things. Just looking for a quick run down of what I need to do, to prepare ground for the turf you buy in rolls.

Currently alot of work still to do, but remove most of existing stones and have just removed a large patio with a heck of crap underneath it! I still have black felt all over (we had stones all in garden) - Keeping this down untill I have to move it. Underneath is pretty hard compacted soil.

What should be I needing to do and in which order?

Current state;

I still have to clear alot of the crap on top. I think I will need to get some topsoil in. What else should I be thinking about?

Thanks in advance

Sponsored Links
I know it sounds obvious but how your going to get it level would be my first thought

Maybe a string line and some extra dirt

Remove all twigs and roots, then rotovate. Leave the stones alone as you'll rotovate some in which is fine.

Then level it and rake it flat, remove most of the surface stones at this point but don't worry about every last one. Then tread it all in by walking all over or use a roller. Then spead a layer of coarse grit sand approx 30mm thick and roll it, using a long straight piece of timber then screed it dead flat. Sprinkle some pre turfing fertliser on and your good to go.

Ok this is where I am at currently.

Ground is quite uneven. Got most roots out. The stones at bottom of pic are just temporary they are creating a little ramp. They will be going. Still few loose stones knocking around. I read you really want 4-6 inches of good quality topsoil before laying turf. The soil I have here is quite stoney.

Just checking on whats best method. What I was thinking was, rotavate, Remove big rocks/stones. Rake to try to level out uneven. Fill with topsoil. Flatten down and level with timber.

Is this right? No idea how much topsoil I will need.

Sponsored Links
You need yourself a rotavator/tiller. At the beginning of the season you can get cheapy ones from Aldi, £60 or £70. They're robust enough providing you don't snag anything immovable in the ground (I snagged a disused oil pipe and the torsion broke the plastic housing). Don't let that put you off, they'll do th ejob you need.

Nozzle

Rotovate it all well. Personally i would highly recommend a rotovater with driven wheels rather than a tiller. About 35 quid for a day. Leave the stones in there. You don't want deep fills of screened soil with no stones. Stones are good for drainage and structure. You don't want stones in the top couple of inches as they hinder levelling and rooting but below 3" they are beneficial as long as they are not a solid layer or bunch in one spot.

Then level with rakes and straight edge and tread it all in repeatedly. Then scratch the top inch or so loose again and do your final levelling.

I prefer to lay the turf on about an inch of grit sand as its easy to get the final level bang on if the soil is damp and I think it helps keep the initial roots from getting water logged.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back