Prepapring painted pebbledash for repainting

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I have a pebbledashed house, previously painted. The paint is now in poor condition - flaking and cracking. I have tried jetwashing a test area, which removes some paint but leaves lots of holes and gaps behind the old paint. A wire brush makes little impression. I can't use a scraper as it just gets stuck on the pebbles. How should I go about preparing the surface for repainting please?

Sponsored Links
Jet wash it off to remove loose paint, a coat of stabiliser if the paint is still flakey,
and a couple of coats masonry paint should do it.
Being Pebble dash you will have to use a brush

In situations such as yours, you should avoid the use of a wire brush as any metal particles left will be subject to rusting on the application of a water based masonry paint. These can in time cause brown staining on the surface of your paint.

Dec

Masonry rollers can work well on pea and pebble dash, although flint or chipping dash is best with a brush.

Sponsored Links
I have hired a good jetwasher and most of the paint is coming off - back to the pebbledash. There are some bits left - and some 'pockets' of paint with a gap behind. I presume that these have to go - any gaps behind old paint risk flaking off after I have repainted. How much with stabiliser do to stick them on?

Some of the paint started out looking like this:
with cracking over large areas.

After power washing, I get this
or this

I am concerned that having got some of the paint off - which inevitably leaves flaky edges - I will have to carry on and get ALL of it off. This will take me days and enough water to end a drought in a small African nation!

How thorough do I need to be? Will stabiliser hold together the bigger remains? Or does it all have to go?

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back