Preparation in case of boiler / smart thermostat failure?

Good to know.
I have a Tado system and I am still using the extension kit for my current woscerter boiler. I am planning to replace my current boiler same as yours - Vitodens 100 W B1kf and want it to be connected with Opentherm protocol via Tado.

I believed my Tado extension kit (now discontinued) has a digital connection so Opentherm is possible. Do you have a wired thermostat or EU wireless thermostat?

With your current system, how does Tado works with regards to opentherm protocol? Does it do weather compensation or load compensation.

Are you using SRV's in all your rooms?

Lastly, where did you buy your boiler and who commission it to you?

Sponsored Links
I bought a EU kit, and just use wireless thermostats, nothing wired.

I'm fairly sure the Opentherm setup means the weather compensation is handled by Tado, as the Viessmann option is a different commissioning mode. As soon as Opentherm is enabled it locks a lot of the control panel option leaving Tado to control it.
Yes, all the rooms (except bathrooms) have an SRV and wireless thermostat sensor.
I bought my boiler via the plumbers (as I needed a full replacement from my old system), they bought it at the same price it was seen online.

I chose the installer from the Viessmann list:

Hi,

I am bit confused, the way I understand weather compensation is you need an outdoor temperature sensor ideally to put in north facing wall and the boiler use this information to warm the house. Have you got an outdoor temp. sensor?

Tado on opentherm connection I believed uses load compenstation where it rely on indoor temperature and it modulates flow temperature.

But I might be wrong on my understanding.

Did your viessmann installer connected your Tado system?

Sorry need to ask again, have you got wired thermostat or EU wireless thermostat?

Hi,

I am bit confused, the way I understand weather compensation is you need an outdoor temperature sensor ideally to put in north facing wall and the boiler use this information to warm the house. Have you got an outdoor temp. sensor?
It needs to know the outside temperature but it needn't be a sensor, some systems like VSmart use Internet weather data which which would normally be in the right ballpark

Sponsored Links
It needs to know the outside temperature but it needn't be a sensor, some systems like VSmart use Internet weather data which which would normally be in the right ballpark

Glad you used the phrase ball park, there's usually a discrepancy which you can work around and adjust if it is consistant. The trouble comes when manufacturers change weather station contracts.

I bought a EU kit, and just use wireless thermostats, nothing wired.

I'm fairly sure the Opentherm setup means the weather compensation is handled by Tado, as the Viessmann option is a different commissioning mode. As soon as Opentherm is enabled it locks a lot of the control panel option leaving Tado to control it.
Yes, all the rooms (except bathrooms) have an SRV and wireless thermostat sensor.
I bought my boiler via the plumbers (as I needed a full replacement from my old system), they bought it at the same price it was seen online.

I chose the installer from the Viessmann list:
@ floob,

Apologies, I didn't noticed that you already answered my question about the wireless thermostat.

Is your wireless receiver needed to be plug in 230V outlet?

Hi,

Tado on opentherm connection I believed uses load compenstation where it rely on indoor temperature and it modulates flow temperature.

But I might be wrong on my understanding.

Did your viessmann installer connected your Tado system?

Sorry need to ask again, have you got wired thermostat or EU wireless thermostat?

Here are details on the weather side of things with Tado, as there is no physical device its just internet forecast based, but also I'm not sure how much its factored in given that its set to Opentherm with the set schedule.

The viessmann installer just got an electrician to connect the wireless receiver to the boiler following the Tado instructions that came with it to make sure it was set to digital and opentherm (The Viessmann installer commissioned it in Opentherm mode). Then I configured all the SRVs and tempature sensors.
They powered the receiver via the boiler itself, but it could be wired up for power if you wanted. The EU receiver I ordered came with a 2 pin plug but obviously I wouldnt use that.

Here are details on the weather side of things with Tado, as there is no physical device its just internet forecast based, but also I'm not sure how much its factored in given that its set to Opentherm with the set schedule.

The viessmann installer just got an electrician to connect the wireless receiver to the boiler following the Tado instructions that came with it to make sure it was set to digital and opentherm (The Viessmann installer commissioned it in Opentherm mode). Then I configured all the SRVs and tempature sensors.
They powered the receiver via the boiler itself, but it could be wired up for power if you wanted. The EU receiver I ordered came with a 2 pin plug but obviously I wouldnt use that.
Thanks Floob,

How about DHW, did your installer set it to comfort mode and you can switch from Tado apps between comfort/eco?

Below is the answer for you from the other thread regarding comford mode.

Yes, in order for Tado to be able to control the pre-heat, the boiler has to be explicitly in Comfort mode. Once it is, you can control Comfort Mode from tado, and you can switch between Comfort/Eco at will, or on a schedule. The best of both worlds.

Here is a discussion on pre-heat and eco mode when using Opentherm:

Here is a discussion on pre-heat and eco mode when using Opentherm:
Thanks.
I've downloaded the Tado professional apps and found out that the wiring is not correct. Tado is suggesting to wire it digitally on HT-BUS (D17). I have Greenstar 30Si. That's probably the reason why i don't see in hot water in Tado apps.
Not sure if I am going to pay someone to wire and recommission it back again as I planned to change by boiler this summer.

I'm pretty sure this is the option the installer went for

1677779040670.png

Glad you used the phrase ball park, there's usually a discrepancy which you can work around and adjust if it is consistant. The trouble comes when manufacturers change weather station contracts.

Actual outdoor at the moment here is 5.5C, one Internet service suggests it is 4.0C, another 3.5C - I do often see larger difference between actual and Internet reported temperatures, plus there is always the risk of the Internet failing, or the service ending.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back