preparation, preparation......

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi all!

I'm about to start on a complete paint and decorate and refloor of a small 1 bed flat in a converted edwardian house.

I have to repaint some woodchip, redo the brightwork and install new lights throughout.

1) Wall preparation - how should I clean up the walls so they best accept a new layer of paint?

2) brightwork - just sand and undercoat?

i'm overpainting the woodchip, as I don't want to take it off and have to reskim!

3) Any other clever tips I should use before I start?

Sponsored Links
1= not much you can do on the rough texture of wood chip 2= maybe clean down with sugarsoap solution . buy the powder and mix it . ready mixed solution is a rip off ;) Use a power sander if you`ve got one -on large flat areas :idea:

Thanks, i was wondering about sugarsoap solution on the woodchip as the existing paint has several marks and looks kinda "greasy", meaning i suspect new emulsion won't cover properly. Can this be done for emulsion?

Thanks for the tips re the sugarsoap solution. I want a good quality of finish from this, so i guess I'll go the extra and use the sugarsoap.

Sponsored Links
Sugar soap can be used prior to any type of paint being applied as it leaves no residue.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back