Preparing Earthed Cable

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Just a useful tip gleamed from a pro; I make one small cut (approx 10mm) with my cable cutters lengthwise and just to one side of the earth wire. The only purpose of this is to expose the earth wire. I then use a pair of pliers and by pulling on the earth wire am able to tear the sheathing, exposing as much of the core wires as is needed.

This avoids the danger of cutting the core wires and is a lot quicker. :)

Sponsored Links
this is an easy way to strip cable but i was told at colleagethat it streches the earth.

That was the method I was taught at college. That way it saves damaging the insulation on the other cores.

Look at the end of the cable, place a good stanley knife blade accross it between the earth and one of the other cores and push down using the earth as your guide was the way I was shown. Don't slip though !!
Oh, and wait until the D.T's have settled down :!: :!: :LOL: :LOL: :LOL:

Sponsored Links
When I was at college we were made to use a stripping knife(a stanley knife is not recommeded because it's so easy to damage the insulation of the other cores), which you don't see too often now. I think most people strip T&E by pulling the CPC out along the length of the sheath, I can't see it doing any harm to the cable. For those who do your AM2 now, you may find that they will mark you down if you use a stanley knife to strip any of the cable in the exam. :idea:

Is this a caase of Health and Safety coming in between the tradesman and his job again. H&S is important but at times I feel that we are so wrapped up in cootn wool that you cant feel the tools in your hands. Personally I would say that so long as you are careful and mindful of the fact that you have a sharp implement in your hand then either tool would do. Besides your more likely to have a stanley knife that to goout and by purpose built stripping tools (which most of the ones I have tried arent worth the money you pay for them)

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back