Preparing Floor for Tiling

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hello

I'd like to have a go at tiling a kitchen floor. Sorry but I'm going to ask all sorts of odd questions because I'm a blonde female!

My aim is to tile the floor then have a go at putting in a kitchen from a DIY store.

How do I prepare the floor. I think it is floorboards at the moment.
I will replace the kitchen units - so do I completely gut the kitchen before preparing the floor.
I guess I have to buy proper flooring tiles - is there any special glue that I need to use. Can you get spacers for big floor tiles.
Is there a special grout that I'd use for the tiles.
I've seen someone using a leveling compound before laying laminate - would I need to use a levelling compound?

Sorry for all the questions. Grateful for advice.
Many thanks
Terri

PS - I've done a bit of tiling before on a DIY course - have got decent tools (I think!).

Sponsored Links
Have a look at the sticky post at the top of the tiling forum - I spent time writing it one time to get away from writing the same old stuff time and time again. Your answers are in that post.

Have a look at the sticky post at the top of the tiling forum - I spent time writing it one time to get away from writing the same old stuff time and time again. Your answers are in that post.

Many thanks. Really appreciated.
Terri

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back