Preparing for winter - keep the house warm

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Does anybody have ideas for insulating the house to keep warm during winter?
I have an end of terrace, (no cavity wall as its 1920's) and getting the loft insulated this weekend - anybody help regarding windows etc or anything else that may help.

Sponsored Links
carpets stop draughts and warm on the feet
seal up draughty old windows but leave one for ventilation if required
keep doors shut and fit them if open plan
dress for the winter and not the summer

As big-all has suggested - limiting drafts and air flow is as important, if not more important, than insulating against 'conduction' losses that your loft/wal insulation might address.

Have a real good feel around your door/window reveals!

Cool, i have now used some caulk around windows where there were drafts.
Thanks

However, i have some airbrick vents that a Damp Proof man installed when we had our DP done- they seem to blow constant cold air in but the guy told us we can not block them up as it would cause damp to return in the house due to lack of air flow.

Was he talking rubbish or is he right? :D

Sponsored Links
you talk about damp.

Does anyone drape wet washing around the house, or over radiators?

do you have a wooden floor that is ventilated underneath by air bricks below floor level?

you talk about damp.

Does anyone drape wet washing around the house, or over radiators?

do you have a wooden floor that is ventilated underneath by air bricks below floor level?

Yes, the wife does drape washing round and my floor is concrete - no air bricks as far as i can tell, has underlay with laminate flooring on top.

Do you have double glazing? This would help.

Also, you could insulate the inside of the walls if you have the room. Timber battens - insulation boards, plaster boards.

Do you have double glazing? This would help.

Also, you could insulate the inside of the walls if you have the room. Timber battens - insulation boards, plaster boards.

Good idea but floorspace inside is at a premium as it is- would feel like an indiana jones movie if the walls got any closer :LOL:

Anything else you can think is appreciated.

Yes, the wife does drape washing round

then your house will always be damp, unless you have a vast amount of additional ventilation, in which case it will be cold.

There can be two litres of water in a load of washing. Would you tip this on the floor from a watering can, or squirt it on the walls with a sprayer?

Yes, the wife does drape washing round ...
Invest in a tumble dryer - either ducted to outside, or a condensing type. If you want to know how much water is in a load of washing, weigh it as it comes out the washer, and again when it's fully dry - the difference (in kilogram) is the quantity of water (in litre).

He was correct

Is there nothing i can do to stop the cold air effect as it seems pointless to do other stuff when i have an arctic draft coming through the air brick. :D
It depends where the airbricks are fitted :idea: In my present house , which was a mould pit :mad: - but I got it @ a good price :LOL: . Some fool had retro fitted airbricks in which just ventilated the cavity , solid floor behind - and others which didn`t go through the cavity to the underfloor void :rolleyes: I sorted them all and opened up a fireplace - that required a vent nearby - 2 years on it`s fine

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back