Preparing old fireplace for a new gas fire - advice please?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I want to get an open gas fire fitted in my original 1930 fireplace - photo attached. Obviously I will get a CORGI engineer to do all the gas work & smoke tests etc, and we've already had the chimney swept. I just want to do all the prep work myself, thus minimising his labour.

As you can see in the photo the original tiled hearth is flush with the floor. Since this was taken I have built a new hearth out of concrete blocks so it is flush with the 'inside hearth'. I intend to tile this with matching tiles reclaimed from the fireplace in the front room.

The main question I have is what to do with the clay fireback. I assume it is necessary to remove this back to the brick chimney breast to give me the widest choice of fires. There is also a redundant back boiler at the bottom (see photo). The pipes run up the the old airing cupboard in the bedroom and are now capped off. Is there anything to be aware of when removing this?

Are new Gas fires supplied with the 'fire box' that will fill the void created by removing the old fire back, or is any remedial work required before the new fire is installed?

In short, what do I need to do to prepare this fireplace fopr the gas fire installation?

Any replies are 'grate'-fully received.

Sponsored Links
In short, what do I need to do to prepare this fireplace fopr the gas fire installation?

I would suggest you call some RGIs and ask them to quote, at this point you can ask them what they will or wont agree too.

Firebox usually come as extras as do closure plates.

Thanks clf-gas,

I had a CORGI fitter roung today who did his own smoke test and confirmed the flu is ok. He said to remove the clay 'chairbrick' & back boiler. Then take the dimensions of the opening so that I can select the right fire. he also wanted me to drill a hole for the 8mm pipe as he did not want to risk damaging my antique surround.

So Im off to B&Q for some rubble sacks & a dust mask before I attack it with a hammer.

Can anyone advise on a good brand / type of fire? I want an efficient traditional open gas fire with realistic coal effect. I'm urring towards a convector with a silver art deco style fret. I'v been looking at Kinder, Genesis & Firecraft, but there's so many brands. I'm prepared to spend upto £350ish. Is there any to avoid?

Living Flame Effect (As in the style that you require) and Efficient will never be seen in the same sentence (Apart from this one) They are for visual effect only and all they heat is the great outdoors. If you are willing to compromise on design there are some quite good hole in the wall fires, many of which are rather expensive... I did note that the Valor Homeflame range boasts an efficiency of 89% which is a bit of a wow, I thought that my Esse Esfera was good at 65%...Cant comment on price but all I can say is that the traditional LFE fires are pants....Kinder boasts a life time guarantee but this is dependent on servicing every 12 months which is good but they also demand that the Oxypilot is changed every service, and you must be able to prove it too :mad:

Sponsored Links
OK, just a progress update for anyone who is interested...

I have now removed the old fireback & back boiler; tiled the hearth with tiles reclaimed from my front room fireplace and purchased a new fire which I am hoping to get fitted this week. I'm also in the process of cleaning up & waxing the wooden mantle.

I will update again when complete.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back