Preparing plaster prior to repainting

Sponsored Links
It could be caused by out of dates bags , poor plastering technique or temperature

You could try sanding the walls smooth , but it's gonna take ages and you will be cleaning sanding dust from around the house for weeks!

Personally depending on your budget I would either get all the walls skimmed or just get the worse ones skimmed and sand the others.

If sanding I find Norton papers very good, I usually start with a medium to see how it goes , if medium not working then I switch to a coarse , the reason for this is to try to keep the dust down and I finish off with a fine paper to get it lovely and smooth

150 grit paper should be fine.

A random orbital would be better than an orbital sander, it will be faster and less likely to overheat the existing emulsion.

Ideally you would connect the sander to a dust extractor. A dust extractor is a vacuum cleaner that connects to the sander and turns on automatically when you turn the sander on. If you don't have one you can use a domestic hoover but you need to pay attention the dust potentially clogging the back and overheating the hoover.

One big issue is that you will end up with smooth and rough textures. The extend is dependant on how heavily the existing emulsion has been rolled. If the paint has been applied properly you should be ok. Your roller will provide the required texture

Sponsored Links

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back