Water damage repainting advice

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,
Just wondering if anyone could offer some advice please? I'm looking to repaint a wall in a bathroom that was water damaged several years ago by a leak from above. The paint is damaged and has bubbled along the bottom edge and some of the plaster has chipped off (see pic).
Is it sufficient to just remove the old paint and "patch" the plaster, and then seal it, or is it best to remove the old plaster and redo the whole section of wall (the section of wall is 2m x 0.3m)? I've never plastered anything before and it's my girlfriend's house!
Thanks
Nich
20231026_083257.jpg
20231026_083245.jpg

Sponsored Links
You don't need to replaster.

Sand away the loose material, use filler, sand the filler and repaint.

It is a 15 minute job (to patch in that area).

If you find that the water stains leak through the new paint, use a stain blocker.

Assuming that it is just that area and that you do not need to fill anything else, apply a few heavy coats of emulsion and lightly sand it back. The texture of the existing paint is so rough that you won't notice the slight imperfection.

Then tell your girlfriend that the patch repair took hours and that you need to go to the pub to watch the football to recover.

Thanks for advice, especially the bit about the footie! Will give it a go. Cheers

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back