Preparing stripped wall (Previously replastered)

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi

We have recently stripped an old feature wall which was papered over new plaster painted with a watered down emulsion basecoat. Although there is no damage to the plaster work some of the paint has come off with the paper leaving patches of bare plaster (some pictures attached).

I am worried when I paint with emulsion the uneven layers will show through my paint and will stick out like a sore thumb compared to the other walls (which were plastered at the same time and have never had wallpaper).

Any advice will be appreciated - do i start by repainting the wall with watered down emulsion as before or is there anything else I need to think of?

Thanks in advance.

Sponsored Links
We had this in one of our rooms - I just damped the plaster, smoothed over a bit of filler, and sanded down. They were invisible once the wall was painted.

Edit: The pictures didn't load at work, that's a bit more extensive than a bit of filler. If you sand, does more paint come off easily? If so, I'd be tempted to just sand the whole surface.

Hi

I haven't tried sanding yet was just getting some ideas. I'm tempted to go over the edges of the remaining painted areas with fine sand paper, clean down the wall then apply a watered down layer of white emulsion. I'll then attempt a coat of emulsion.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back