Painted plaster: what to do?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Having stripped off numerous layers of wallpaper, I am now confronted with a ghastly truth: gloss painted plaster.

All I want is a straightforward plaster wall with emulsion on it. What can I do with this? I can't put emulsion on it, because it won't bond due to the gloss paint.

Sponsored Links
Give your gloss painted walls a good rub over with a "really rough sandpaper". Spend a bit of time on it,, you need to roughen/dull down the shiny surface. When you have prepared the surface,, get a good quality PVA, (i use builder centre's own brand), and a 25kg bag of British Gypsum bonding coat plaster. Make up some bonding coat,, not too thick, and not too much at a time, say a litre of water and add bonding plaster to it. When you're ready, brush the plaster on, mixed with neat pva on the brush, then let it dry,, 24hrs, then you can plaster over it without any problems. The walls in the pics were painted with vinyl silk, but i have plastered onto oil based gloss and eggshell many times, using the same method described in the post.

Roughcaster.

Thanks for the info and taking the time to post the pictures up roughcaster..I enjoyed reading that.. ;)

Sponsored Links
No need for all that fuss. Just neat pva and plaster when tacky. Plaster sticks to my plastic bucket no worries.

I would have thought it would be easier to roughen the surface and apply a matt paint or undercoat of some kind :confused: then redecorate with emulsion

I am no good at plastering, so I'd avoid it, although I can usually do patches and chases

I feel a tune coming on....

Bom Bom Bom...anoth...................

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back