Painting Walls - What is causing the problem?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Can someone please help. We have stripped the walls of our kitchen which is an extension built in the 80's. Under the numerous layers there was an orange paint effect layer that when it came off was stretchy and elasticy. It was a NIGHTMARE to remove. We are now back to plaster walls. In some areas of the kitchen basecoat emulsion paint is not applying to the walls effectively (we have bought a good quality brand). It is like we are trying to paint emulsion over gloss! As soon as you paint it on the down stroke paints it off! Does anyone know what the problem is or how we deal with this? Im hoping your going to say once its dried and we put the colour on the wall it will rectify itself!?
I look forward to your responses. Thank you

Sponsored Links
try crown glass lining fleece, can be used in kitchens and bathrooms will hide all your messey walls ,can be painted product is vvp 130 it also has class o fire rated, can be put up by anyone easy ;) quicker and better than lining paper. hope this helps ;)

it might just be an industrial paint like Portaflek :idea: I actually found it under my hall wallpaper :eek: ....I reckon a coat of Zinnsser primer would be worth a try

Hello Diane, The way your describing the orangey paint, sounds like silk to me, thats elasticy and stretchy, specially if you use a wall paper stripper.

New or bare plaster walls will not take bathroom/kitchen paint, as its too shiny,kit/bath paint is like silk paint, it has similar properties, but costs a lot more, and you never put silk straight onto bare plaster walls.

Your not going to like this......, But try and get all the kitchen paint off, and get it back to the bare plaster again.

Once its bare again, you have to seal the plaster as though its new plaster, (bare, unpainted)

Buy either some Contract matt, or Dulux supermatt from any decorating centre, this is a matt paint, it has no vinyl, and its the best thing to use on new/bare plaster as a miscoat, or sealer coat.

Now you have all the kitchen paint off, gently give the bare plaster a quick sand over.

Pour your 'contract or'supermatt into a container, and add about approx 35% of water and mix, dont worry if its too thin.
Apply (see Zampa, I said apply) ;) the mix to walls, leave it to dry, and apply another coat of the matt, this time adding approx 15-20% water.
if you go with the gliddens contract matt, you might have add a tad more water, as its quite thick for what it is.

Leave for a day or so, then you can apply your kitchen paint, but, dont use it straight from the tin, again just slightly thin it down, and away you go. :D

Sponsored Links
Hello Diane, The way your describing the orangey paint, sounds like silk to me, thats elasticy and stretchy, specially if you use a wall paper stripper.

New or bare plaster walls will not take bathroom/kitchen paint, as its too shiny,kit/bath paint is like silk paint, it has similar properties, but costs a lot more, and you never put silk straight onto bare plaster walls.

Your not going to like this......, But try and get all the kitchen paint off, and get it back to the bare plaster again.

Once its bare again, you have to seal the plaster as though its new plaster, (bare, unpainted)

Buy either some Contract matt, or Dulux supermatt from any decorating centre, this is a matt paint, it has no vinyl, and its the best thing to use on new/bare plaster as a miscoat, or sealer coat.

Now you have all the kitchen paint off, gently give the bare plaster a quick sand over.

Pour your 'contract or'supermatt into a container, and add about approx 35% of water and mix, dont worry if its too thin.
Apply (see Zampa, I said apply) ;) the mix to walls, leave it to dry, and apply another coat of the matt, this time adding approx 15-20% water.
if you go with the gliddens contract matt, you might have add a tad more water, as its quite thick for what it is.

Leave for a day or so, then you can apply your kitchen paint, but, dont use it straight from the tin, again just slightly thin it down, and away you go. :D

Your imporoving on a weekly basis Spicy ;)

Unlike my spelling!! :(

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back