Old paint on walls is causing me problems

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,

I wonder if anyone has come across this before, and what did you do about it?

I moved into a house about 18 moths ago. In one of the bedrooms I stripped the wallpaper and found an orange and a green paint beneath. These did not look like normal emulsion (or gloss) so I tried to remove as much as possible (steamed it off) and when painted with matt emulsion it looked as if it had acne at first but this died away as the paint dried. As time has passed this paint has started cracking and falling away in places so I'm stripping it back to bare plaster as I think the green and orange paint is to blame. This has worked OK on one wall but the other three are fully covered in it and look dreadful, the new emulsion just strips off without much effort but I am really struggling with the old paint. When steamed it is very stubborn and when it does come away it is like latex.

As I am now ruining the walls with the scraper it looks like a re-skim is required but can I do this over the old paint or will it not adhere just like the new emulsion? Also is there an easier way to remove the old paint as I've just about had enough of it!

Thanks!

Jamodu

Sponsored Links
I am guessing that your home may be slightly older than u think. Prob around mid 1940's. It sounds to me as though what you have on your walls is an old oil distemper. This was used a lot after the war as paint was in short supply. In my experience, it seemed to be used alot in older style council houses. Unfortunately for you there is no easy way of getting it off. On my dad's house I found that the best way to remove it was by using a heat gun and softening it up. It goes very treacley, so be careful not to get any on you, or it burns like hell! lol. Also don't be tempted to hold the heat on for ages, it doesn't help..it just burns and cracks the plaster underneath. Hope this helps. Good luck!

Sponsored Links
Thanks for the replies.

I don't think it's distemper as I think the previous owner is responsible for it and they were here for 15 years or so. They're also responsible for a lot of other headaches of mine but they're for future posts! Also under the lovely green and orange (and newly discovered black) there would seem to be standard emulsion, it's just getting down to that layer that's proving difficult.

Tried heatgun on it, it doesn't do much apart from make the house smell like it's burning down. Tried an orbital sander with 80 grit paper, not very effective. It has been noted that the colours look very much like the colours that the shed and fence were painted in - could this be possible and would it be this much of a pain to get rid of if it was shed paint/stain?

Thanks,

Jamodu

When you stripped the paper off did you give the walls a thorough wash down? Did they feel slightly slimy? It sounds to me like you've painted over the old wallpaper paste and that will guarantee peeling.

ok, sounds like you have tried a lot of things already to remove this paint. If it is as you believe, some kind of woodstain, then maybe the only solution would be to try paint stripper. nitromors is a good one to use. If you do try this, you will need to neutralise the product after use with clean water. If you think it maybe the old paste, I would try sugar soaping the whole area to clean and remove any underlying residue. You can also do this after using the paint stripper if you wish.

Hi,

Yes there was wallpaper on the walls but they were sugar soaped and rinsed before painting. I considered Nitro Mors but on that size area indoors I was not keen.

Managed to remove about four foot square since Sunday, slow work!

Jamodu

Hi again,

I have spoken to a colleague at work, and between us we have come to the conclusion that it might be bitumen that you have on your walls. Also used in the late 40's early 50's as said. Came in red, green and standard black. No way to remove easily, so stop wasting your time! best bet is to get yourself a decent primer. Something like zinnsser B.I.N. this will obliterate existing colour allowing you to paint over. Product not exactley cheap (about £45-£50 per 5lt) but well worth it. Good luck

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back