Painting problem.

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hello I'm having a bit of a nightmare painting my new living rom, and from searching around on google I've maybe got a couple of ideas of what is the source of the problems but I was wondering if any of you good people could narrow things down for me. Basically the problem is crazing...

We had the walls skimmed so they are all nice and smooth, we applied a couple of mist coats to the walls - using a cheap silk emulsion mixed with water, and have painted over this, once it has been given plenty of time to dry, with a dulux matt finish. Now I know one of the potential reasons for the problem is that we used silk as a basecoat but the thing that is confusing me is that all the walls were painted the same way (but at different times) and only some of them are cracking.

if the basecoat was the issue would it not effect all the walls?

One thing that was different during the process was that we had the heating turned on before we painted the walls which have crazed and not when we painted the walls that are fine - would this really effect the paint enough to cause this?

Apologies for the length of the post but I wanted to try to explain exactly what I have done so that I might Be able to receive some sound advice.

What would you recommend I do to save me having to sand the paint bk to the plaster?

Cheers.
[/quote]

Sponsored Links
Yes you have answered your own question, a matt mist coat was the way to go but as is often the case you can get away with it until something else is thrown into the mix like rapid drying, humidity, plaster absorbency etc.

In your case it sounds like the heating was perhaps the last straw.

I would try Polycell Basecoat on the offending walls with luck that will give a good base for a couple of full coats of emulsion.

http://www.polycell.co.uk/products/polycell_3_in_1_basecoat.jsp

Ok thanks I will give that a go. Would you expect the walls which are currently ok to begin developing a similar problem over time? And if so is it a good idea to paint over what we have done so far with this? To be on the safe side.

Cheers for the help!

Sponsored Links
If the wall dried ok they should be fine, but if you want to give them a coat by all means do so :D

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back