Preparing wall for paint

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
HOPEFULLY a quick question....

We want to re-paint the walls in a spare room, but when we painted it a couple of years back with some matt paint it all crazed up. We since found out this was most likely because the original paint was vinyl silk.

Anyhow, we just lived with the crazed finish since it was a 'junk' room, but now want to smarten it up.

What can we paint on as a basecoat/primer before our new top-coat that is likely to be available from a B&Q/shed store?

Thanks

Chris

Sponsored Links
Sand back the crazed areas then apply a thinned coat of oil based undercoat, when dry do any filling sand and spot mist the filler.

Dec

When you intend to apply paint over a silk or any other system with a sheen, always sand and dust off prior to painting.

Dec

Thanks for the tips, tho I'm not sure I can face sanding it all back as it's the whole room and when the matt was applied it was applied in several coats to try and tackle the problem without understanding what the cause was so is a bit thicker than just a thin coat.

Cheers

Chris

Sponsored Links
preparation is the most important aspect here. you will as thedec states have to sand the effected areas down to achieve a half decent finish.

You really to sand back, not doing so will come back and haunt you.

Dec

Sometimes it's worth lining the walls. This will achieve a smooth consistent finish. When a large amount of filling / sanding is required it's hard to achieve a perfect finish. This becomes obvious in different lighting conditions.

Only you will be able to make that decision on the course of action required. We can only advise.

Sanding back the walls will not take long. It's messy, it's annoying but it's the best option. Lining will work, but sanding will work better. Lining is also annoying remember!

Thanks for all the replies.

Now, I know 95% of a good finish is in the preparation, geez I procrastinated enough over the dining room it drove the missues mad.

You've all told me to sand it back, but I started sanding and even with decent grit and a power sander it was going to take a weeks worth of evenings and whole stack of sand paper, I can't understand how the paint seems so incredibly hard.

When I got down to the underlying vinyl silk it just clogged things up and I really don't want to go down the route of wet and dry, so humour me if I try something else, just to see what would happen.

I took some B&Q base coat, rollered it onto an area of one wall and it worked a treat, it covered up the fine crazing leaving a nice smooth finish with no re-appearance of the crazing.

Chris

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back