Preparing to wallpaper - what now?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I am re-decorating a bedroom that had vinyl wallpaper which I peeled off leaving the backing paper. Just before I starte papering I checked into the forum where a search advised NEVER EVER leave the backing paper.

I took the advice and I am now left with an awful surface of flaking and bubbling paint, different paint surfaces, gouges into plasterboard etc.

Have a look

and

These are after I spent ages removing the old paste and gunge.

What are my DIY choices to achieve a reasonable surface for "fine decor" textured vinyl?

Thanks
Jim

Sponsored Links
Fill in all the big holes and gouges, Remove all loose and flaking paint. Cover walls in a good quality lining paper, hanging the strips horizontally. Then hang your wallpaper as normal.
Not sure what the professionals would say but it worked for me.

Thanks for your reply rr.

I've now filled the gouges & removed flaky paint etc. I'll now have to sand the walls before putting up lining paper. Is it definitely better horizontal? Also, should I size before lining paper?

Thanks again for your advice
Jim

Hanging the lining paper horizontally is done so as to avoid vertical seams lining up between lining paper and wallpaper. Probably best to size the walls first. Good luck.

Sponsored Links
Hanging the lining paper horizontally is done so as to avoid vertical seams lining up between lining paper and wallpaper. Probably best to size the walls first. Good luck.

Ah yes - makes sense.

I've just found a 946ml tin of Zinsser Primer Sealer Stain Killer in the garage. What is the maximum amount I could thin this? Tin says 78ml :eek:

Would it have any effect as sealer primer if thinned say 50% or even 100%

Jim

Sorry no knowledge of the product. I would just use a mould resistant wall paper size.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back