wallpaper help needed#!!!

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
what is the advantage of stripping the top layer of vinyl coated wallpaper before painting? it reveals a paper backing which has a texture but it seems like i am going to create work for myself (oh how i love doing that!!!:)) i have tried painting over the external layer directly and it seems to be covering fairly well and doesnt scratch off when dry. however it did bubble up on application of some crown emulsion paint which have disappeared now it has dried.
should I...
A. remove the outer layer of the paper, apply some pva glue/water mix to the paper backing, then paint with emulsion.
B. paint the walls as they are and hope that the bubbling problem doesnt get worse with each coat.
C. remove paper completely, repair loose &flaking plaster (which is very old dried and crumbling since the building is over 100 years old), re-skim / plaster, then paint.
D. other!

any suggestions will be much appreciated!

Sponsored Links
okay C it is then! id pretty much decided on that one aswell. ive already stripped one portion of the wall and the plaster underneath is in a right state. what is my next step? once ive stripped all the walls im not sure what to use to make them all nice and smooth..

ive got some plaster repair polyfilla powder - is this any good for near 'crumbling walls'?!! ive also got some finishing skim polyfilla ready mixed in a tub. i suppose my other option is to buy some plaster and re-do the whole lot but ive no experience in plastering. im willing to give it a try though if its going to sort it out.

remove old plaster, if its that bad, would be good, but i am told to plaster a wall its best done by a pro. good luck

Sponsored Links
cheers for the help. i think im going to try and repair the existing plaster with lots of filler repair and see how it goes!!! i really cant afford a pro

Understand your concern about the price of plastering. But think of the time and money you'll spend fixing the flakey plaster (perhaps not very well), and the time and money papering. At least you'll be able to paint a well-plastered wall - cheaper than paper - and you'll know the job's done well.
Don't know about your old house, but mine really doesn't like vinyl paper. I had several patches of mouldy paper that had no obvious cause. Removed the vinyl and painted instead - no damp at all. Seems like the old walls need to breathe.

thanks Panjandrum, i will look into the costs of getting someone in to do the job.

maybe papering over the old stuff would have been a better option in hindsight..... less grief anyway!

wallpaper can cover a multitude of sins!!!

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back