preparing walls for tiling in bathroom????????

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
HI guys,
having read a few posts im really confused.
We have put up hardibacker board around the bath and moisture resist boards else where.
The ceiling is to be skimmed and painted.
The walls to be tiled in ceramic 30 x30 tiles.
Do we pva all the walls, none of the walls, just the walls or just the ceiling or can we just get on with the job and not pva at all.
Thanks for any help
Ellen

Sponsored Links
Have a read of the adhesive instructions regarding preparation - you won't often find PVA mentioned. If the instructions mention a primer, then use a dedicated primer for tiles - especially in wet areas.

Cheers , no mention of pva on instructions, but a few posts
on this forum it is recommended on moisture board prior to skimming. We have Dunlop waterproof adhesive for the tiles, is this good or should we be using cement based as the tiles are 30x30 (which the instructions say is the max). I dont want to be coming home from work on day n all the tlies be on the floor. Any info appreciated
thanks Ellen

I'm no expert on plastering but my understanding is that you would need to pva (50/50 mix) and plaster whilst the pva is tacky.
Personally Ellen, I'd prefer to use a powdered adhesive for tiles that size - sure it's messier, but you'll not get any dropping off.

Sponsored Links
Thanks for the info, i had a funny feeling i would be better with the cement based stuff, not worried bout the mess, after removing plaster n lath ceiling n walls (serious woodworm) a thick layer of dust covering the whole house anyway n sandy grit in the bath, etc etc so quite used to mess. Thats this afternoons job sorted. Im sure i will need more advice so thanks in the mean time. Ellen

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back