Prepay meter failure

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi all,

Bit of an odd one. Noticed this morning that our prepay (it was there when we moved in) electricity meter has a blank screen and won't respond to button presses etc.

Power is still on.

Obviously only the owner of the meter can touch it, so we called our supplier (british gas).

They said they can't get anyone to us until Friday to look at it.

I'm just a bit worried in case the power goes off (either the meter fails altogether or the credit runs out, assuming it's still actually metering anything, as I can't remember how much is left on it!) - do they send anyone as a matter of more urgency if it does?

Should I even be calling the supplier, or is it the DNO's?

Sponsored Links
Obviously only the owner of the meter can touch it, so we called our supplier (british gas). ... They said they can't get anyone to us until Friday to look at it. ... I'm just a bit worried in case the power goes off (either the meter fails altogether or the credit runs out, assuming it's still actually metering anything, as I can't remember how much is left on it!) - do they send anyone as a matter of more urgency if it does? ... Should I even be calling the supplier, or is it the DNO's?
The meter is nothing to do with the DNO, so I presume you're talking to the right people. If you were to lose power between now and Friday, I would imagine/hope that they would send someone out to sort it out pronto.

Kind Regards, John

Interesting information from the Citizens Advice Bureau about pre-pay meters:

https://www.citizensadvice.org.uk/c...g-for-energy/your-prepayment-meter-is-faulty/

"Electricity meters

If you report a problem with an electricity meter between 7am and 7pm on a working day, the supplier must send someone to repair or replace the meter within three hours of you reporting it.

At other times, the supplier must send someone within four hours.

If they don't and the meter turns out to be faulty, the supplier should pay you £22 compensation. This is called a guaranteed standard."

Make sure you get your £22 !

Nick

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back