help - meter replacement issue

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hello

I have our supplier coming in the next few days to replace an old meter.
I have noticed that one of the tails connecting the CU to the meter has about 0.3mm of exposed cable sticking out of the meter. Some idiot must have done this for the previous owner.

Are they likely to sort this out ie. cut the tail properly or are they likely to say “sorry mate you need to get an elec to do this we can’t touch the tails connecting the meter to the cu”.

Note that there is no isolator so they would have to detatch the tails anyway as part of the meter replacement.

Sponsored Links
Yes they will have to remove the tails from the meter to do it and should re dress the tail end to fit snug and safe in the new meter - thats if you are lucky, knowing meter fitters you may end up with more exposed wire :mrgreen:

Worth asking the meter fitter if while he has the main fuse out he would consider fitting an isolator for you. Offering hot tea and choccy biscuits in this cold weather would be a humanitarian act of kindness and in no way a bribe....

Meter fitter is not necessarily going to pull the main fuse - the one I got changed the meter with the live wire dangling in the air.

I could have told him the main fuse wasn't sealed :)

Sponsored Links
Do you mean exposed copper or the coloured under-sheath ?

If it is bare copper how it you manage to measure it down to such a small dimension ?

thanks for the replies.

i forgot to mention that also the cutout does not have seals and the screws attaching the cover to the main body are missing.

I am assuming the meter operatives will not have screws for what could be a 30 year old cutout, are they likely to still carry out the work or would they want the dno to secure / change the cutout lid first?

At the moment the cutout cover is in the right place but with no screws in it.

Some idiot must have played with this stuff before we bought the place.

Metering people only do meters, they won't have any parts for the cutout. They won't have any isolators either, and given that they only get a rather small amount of time to change the meter, probably won't be interested in doing anything else.

You will need to contact the DNO to have the cutout replaced.

After the meter man has been.
You could be cruel and call the DNO to say that he has left the cover of the cut out hanging off :evil:

After the meter man has been.
You could be cruel and call the DNO to say that he has left the cover of the cut out hanging off :evil:

Good idea :)

But you are thinking that the meter man will have changed the meter even though the cutout does not seem right.
I am being more cynical assuming that the meter man will refuse to do the work once he see the screws are missing from the cutout cover.... :cry:

I am being more cynical assuming that the meter man will refuse to do the work once he see the screws are missing from the cutout cover.... :cry:

I am being even more cynical :D ... AFAIK a lot of meter changing is on piecework, and its comming up to christmas, I can't imagine that hes going to let some missing cut out cover screws bother him....

Believe me he won't even look at it!!! The Cut out belongs to one lot, the tails from cut out to the meter generally belong to the meter company and after that the rest is your problem.

If the cut out is open, and live parts are readily accessible call the DNO and raise a 'dangerous situation'. They'll be there in 2 hours :)

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back