Preperation for rendering

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I am looking to render the panels on my house that are between the upstairs and downstairs windows (approx 2m x 2m).

I'n not sure what I need to do to prepare for the render. At the moment there is softwood cladding fixed to the timber joists/beams.

This is my thinking and please correct me if I am wrong....

1. Remove old cladding

2. Treat/replace any damp/rotten timber joists.

3. Replace the old council insulation with new glass fibre insulation.

4. Cover area with plastic sheeting (for added moisture/weather protection)

5. Fix panel of plywood / hardboard (approx 10mm thick) to panel area with wood screws. Treat panel with uni-bond for damp protection and adhesion.

6. Fix metal wire mesh (not sure on name of the stuff) and top and bottom trim to wood panel.

7. Apply first scratch coat.

8. Apply top coat

9. Paint

You comments on this would be much appreciated. I am a more than capable DIY'er, and have done most of the rest of the house from scratch, but this I'm not too sure on.

Cheers,

Jim

Sponsored Links
OK. Everybody is looking, but no body is replying ! Please can abone tell me if the above is correct or if not what I should do !

Thanks

I have done a quick search and found this for you,
here

In your case you will substitute the brickwork in the document for your plywood panel with the mesh firmly fixed to it.
Hope it is some use.

Hi,
I too am looking at rendering board(in my case a whole wall!) but I have heard that there is a type of rough coated board that is designed to be rendered! That is what I am searching for at the moment! It was on Grand Designs last Wed but not much info given for it!

Any pros out there help???? this may help at least 2 of us!!!

crumpy

Sponsored Links
Hi again,
I have done some fishing around and found that a few companies do an exterior insulation board that can be mineral render finished! Have not found any prices yet though! This would save you using the expermet mesh!

Regards

Crumpy

The word you are looking for is eml and you are better of applying buil ding paper to the ply :D

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back