cedar cladding vs render costs

Get quotes for either.

If need be, put cedar on the plans and you can alter it later no problem.

I definitely need some quotes.

This is one of the issues, if I need to alter the plan it will have to go back to planning for approval...

Would you put cedar on top of render later on? Or clad a huge wall that is just facing the neighbour?

I was wondering if this will affect the overall permissible depth of the extension if it includes the battens and cedar thickness...

Sponsored Links
There would be no problem in cladding over render, but it would be important to get the top, bottom and edge junctions correctly detailed. So that needs to be allowed for as part of the build, and not as an after thought.

Soffit projection for instance is often neglected, and leads to premature degradation of timber cladding. Likewise for the bottom splash protection.

But more relevant, why pay for render if it will be clad later?

Thanks, this is all really good information to have while planning ahead.

I decided to put cladding on the rear facing side only, like the photo but just 6 meters long. So the render cost is hopefully not much extra with cladding on top.

I would agree on the timber over render but the architect (who is also the structural. eng) insisted not to mix. He has been accommodating to be fair with requests,
since I lack the background on the technicalities I will just have to go his way.

Structural engineers should stick to structural engineering.

There is no logical reason not to mix cladding and tender on a building

Sponsored Links
Wood is OK for a shed down the end of the garden but not for a wall you can actually see. Apart from the obvious colour change after a couple of years, there is the problem of it moving about, and exposing unbleached bits and gaps and actual cracks within the surface of the planking. Kevin Mcloud might rate its "Sleek modern looks. . . . . .{more hyperbole}, turning grey. . . " In reality in September, 2019, you have to find some more stain, masking tape, a pile of news papers and bricks, and the weather must not be too hot and the planking must be dry Render, render, render you do it once and walk away.
Frank

Cedar does not crack, does not move, does not need masking when oiling, does not change colour if oiled, and looks great.

Not to be confused with timber pallets. And certainly not to be stained. Modern use should not be combined with old fashioned thinking.

Render needs cyclical painting too. And what's the expected life cycle of render again? What, less than cedar I hear you say. Oh dear.

And what are the modes of failure and consequences? What, more likely and more onerous I hear you say. Oh dear.

:rolleyes:

For clarity, the architect's point was that we can mix but the junction between cladding/render could pose problems, including that the material shrinkage behaviour is different.

I'm sure there are several ways working around this in modern days, allowing expansion room and overlapping beads etc. But his point was that if it's only the rear it is best to use render and place it over. Again this is his view.

Having talked to planning I was put off slightly and decided to go with the rear cladding over render. They sounded very cautious about the material especially if it was to be seen from the street, as no property uses in the area. But they did not say they would oppose if used carefully. So perhaps this way we can get approval and apply separately for the cladding...

For clarity, the architect's point was that we can mix but the junction between cladding/render could pose problems, including that the material shrinkage behaviour is different.

He's talking nonsense. The render would have a metal stop end. Then the cladding would have a timber or a cover timber to frame the cladding. There will be no shrinkage.

From this comment and the previous posts, it sounds like this architect does not have a clue about these two materials, nor how to detail connections.

For planning, your architect (if he is one) would justify the use of the material in context of the design brief and his intentions. And it never does any harm to play the sustainability card and mention the environmental credentials of timber.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back