Cedar Cladding

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi All, I am cladding my house in cedar cladding & am after any advice & help before I start buying expensive cladding & mucking it all up! or asking for advice once Ive mucked it up.

1, Profiles, i would like the hidden nailed type, but is the wood going to split at the edges because the SS nails have to be too close to the edge?

2, Do i need vapour barrier? insect barrier? or anything between the concrete block walls & the cladding.

3, is there a difference between western red cedar & just cedar?

Sorry so many questions, but really would apperciate any advice.

Many thanks

Sponsored Links
You can't secret nail external cladding as this wont give adequate fixing, and the boards will move/split/cup

Need for a membrane depends on the wall being clad, not the cladding

Cedar is typically western red

There is a thread in the woodwork section (i think) where I posted more answers previously

Thanks for the advice Woody , Your a star!

i'll take a lok at the woodwork posts..

The walls are concrete blocks.

xxx :D

I can't compete with woody's knowledge and experience here, but I had parts of my house clad vertically with WRC V T&G boards (130mm x 20mm) which where secret nailed with SS annular ring nails via the tongues to a 400mm framework about five years ago and they are still as straight and secure as they were when they were installed. The important bit is to not overdrive the nails so they are secure, but don't split the tongues.

I bought all the materials from Silva Timber, who advised that kiln dried T&G cladding up to 130mm could be secret/blind nailed as it wouldn't split or cup. If you look in their guide it gives some fixing advice.

http://www.silvatimber.co.uk/media/pdfs/silva-leaflets/western-red-cedar-cladding.pdf

I oiled mine after installation, and plan to do so again this year (every five years seems reasonable, even though the finish still appears ok).

Sponsored Links
Phew.. really pleased to hear that yours is ok after 5 years ... I am going to treat mine with Osmo uv protection , which will hopefully stop the grey.

My cladding will be horizontal..

thanku for the advice.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back