Cedar cladding

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Evening

Can anyone advise please. I’m building a small extension. The only wall will be between 2 stone walls of the house. I’m planning on a simple timber frame and cladding with cedar.

How do I get a water tight junction between the timber frame and stone wall? I was thinking about cutting a vertical slot and putting in some kind of flashing then scribing the cedar to the stone.

Any advice or suggestions would be appreciated.

Sponsored Links
Yes use flashing to flash over the top of the wall. The flashing needs to go under your breather membrane, there is no need for a slot. You don't want to scribe to the stone work as you need a gap to let any water out.

Sponsored Links
You would just have a vertical DPC between the frame timber section that is screwed to the wall. The cladding is kept off the stone as it needs to be ventilated behind, and will stain if butted againsts the stone wall.

You may or may not need a vertical DPC cut into the stone wall too, or you can line the stone wall when it becomes the internal wall.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back