Painting new shiplap cladding (shed)

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hello all,

We have just had a new shed built in our garden. The outside is shiplap cladding. It was purchased as "treated wood", but it brand new fresh/raw panels.

Our initial idea is to paint/treat the cladded exterior in white and then we will find an artist who will paint a murial/outdoor artwork on to it.

I wanted to at least get the fresh wood painted very soon so it is not exposed for too long without a base/protection coat.

The exposed sides of the shed are roughly:
2m x 3m and 2m x 2m in size. The smaller side is where the door is as well, which is also in the same cladding material.

What is the correct paint to use and order of application to apply on the to shiplap cladding? I am likely to want to use a paint brush (not spray) to apply.

e.g. is it primer and then outdoor wood paint. Or an undercoat and then outdoor wood paint. Or something else.

Thanks

Sponsored Links
It may have been pressure treated with preservative. This doesn't always show as a treatment such as fence stain. Does your invoice state it is pressure treated or just 'treated'? If the latter I would ask what form of treatment it has had.

I'm no decorating expert but I would suggest 2 coats of primer followed by 2 coats of undercoat to try and ensure total coverage.
I used Wilko Garden Furniture paint on a mud kitchen I built for my granddaughter 2 years ago. It has been out in the garden all this time and shows no sign of breakdown anywhere after doing the above to it. You have to make sure you get every edge and especially any cut ends with end grain showing. This includes the top and bottom of any doors and opening windows etc.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back