Prepping a floor for laminate

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi
I’m looking to lay laminate flooring in a kitchen but wasn’t sure if / how the current floor needs to be prepared. It’s a combination of bitumen, old adhesive and concrete currently. I’ve read various thoughts such as PVA seal, SBR seal, liquid DPM, self levelling compound, Ardex NA or just use underlay straight on top. I’m guessing a combination of some of this is the best bet but any help would be much appreciated.
image.jpg

Last edited:
Sponsored Links
We've had lots of work done over the years and various routes used.

If you have a solid base that is relatively even and secure floor then lay a puka quality underlay that should do the trick.

HTH
:) :)

Thanks HTH, it’s pretty solid but not perfectly even. Just laying underlay would definitely be my preferred option!

About the floor not being exactly "even" - Good underlays allow several mm's of unevenness just read their info, Anything more than that, especially around areas that are considered high traffic by the door, centre near the units/sink etc, eventually faults will show. Having said that it also depends on the quality/thickness of your laminate. If a ridge exists along a joint and not easily covered by the underlay movements it will show in time. Unevenness often shows much easily in larger rooms that have lots of natural light yours is a kitchen so you may get away with it. Work hard on the preps extra hard and you get a better and longer-lasting good finish

That levelling stuff we had used in our previous home in the kitchen it was massive about 15 x 14 feet and we used solid oak floor it was good for a few years all level but later on at two points you could feel clicks as it was glued to the floor/levelling stuff as the floor under the levelling stuff was not rock solid we got those little clicks (floor, levelling banging to the sub floor) especially when our grandson who was about 2 at the time jumped on it

in your case you are not glueing so if pretty level and good underlayer from what you said it should be ok with a good, thick laminate

good luck

Sponsored Links
I appreciate your time to help out. Think I should be able to get away with a decent underlay and laminate , I’ll probably end up extending the same floor into the lounge/ diner so a bigger area but won’t know the quality of the floor until I take up the old parquet

It's fine as it is.
Just hoover it several times before laying the laminate.
And yes, use a good underlay.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back