Prepping and painting visible metal structure of a staircase

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi all, I'm brand new on here - discovered you when googling on how to remove artex. I'm not particularly handy, so apologize in advance for any stupid questions.

Our house has an extremely ugly staircase - industrial-looking metal structure, factory-painted matt brown, and floating steps in varnished wood, bolted from underneath to a smaller metal step supported by a vertical metal riser. It takes a turn half-way up, so the underbelly of the structure is very visible in the open plan ground floor. Pretty, huh? The designer should be put out of his misery.

The cheapest fix is to paint the metal structure white and bleach the steps to a paler colour (current colour is sort of golden pine, goes nicely with the brown :LOL: ) and re-varnish.

So guys, question time. What's your advice on prepping the metal structure for painting? It has small surfaces and planes in all directions, the thought of hand-sanding the whole thing is daunting. As it's already painted (I'm sure it's the original factory job), could we just clean thoroughly, apply a primer and paint over? Since I'd prefer not to use gloss paint, what type of paint would you recommend? Lastly, for the wooden steps - 13 in all, with top, sides and part of the underneath visible - what do you suggest? The cleanest finish would mean unbolting them from the metal support and having them stripped and bleached, but I'm in Spain, and I haven't found the equivalent of the door dipping services you have in the UK.

Thanks in advance for your help! /Inexperta

Sponsored Links
If the metal is already painted then a sanding followed by an oil-based undercoat will suffice as prep' followed by a couple of coats of eggshell

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back