Stripping staircase - help identifying paint/varnish

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi there,

Currently in the process of stripping my staircase. Having a devil of a time removing even the smallest amount of the paint/varnish. I guess the best way forward is to identify what I'm dealing with, because I've never seen this kind of covering before.

At the moment I'm using a heat gun and it seems the best process is to have it on about half-heat and 'push' the paint with my scraper. The paint doesn't flake off, rather it seems to congeal into sticky lumps.

Pics of newel post below - the bottom half is the stuff I've managed to scrape & sand so far, the top half is untouched.

The paint itself is glossy, and when I scrape it, it seems to leave a matt covering underneath which is also very difficult to scrape. If it helps, I don't think it is lead-based, the house was build in the mid-80s and it looks like this paint has been done relatively recently (i.e. in the last 10 years or so). Every architectural moulding in the house is covered with this awful stuff, it's a nightmare!

Thank you in advance :)

IMG_20200517_202145.jpg

Sponsored Links

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back