Architrave stripping/filling conundrum

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I am preping architrave for painting. The property is listed so I want to keep original architrave

It has previously been painted very poorly with gloss. The last layer has not stuck very well. There are about 6 layers; the final one being a very dark stain or glaze. In parts all six layers apart from the stain can be stripped (scraped) off in one piece. On the more intracate parts, the paint is a bit harder to strip but I am making progress using a glass scraper (small plastic yellow holder with a sharp blade)

As this process is causing the wood to become dented and will need filling, i was wondering whether just to scrape off the first two to three layers and then sand and just hope that there is reasonable adhesion underneath there for my first layer of undercoat.

So do I
1) scrape it all off then fill wholesale
2)scrape the easy loose stuff, and fill less
3)scape the first couple of layers off and fill even less
4) No scrape, just sand a key and paint undercoat

What is the best filler when quite a lot of filling of dents is required?

Sponsored Links

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back